WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

M20 scratched cylinder

madbim

Question

Replacing a piston that was damage (likely due to running lean) found this vertical scratch in the cylinder wall. I know it's not ideal, but interested in others thoughts. We have already honed the cylinder, I wouldn't say a fingernail catches but you can feel it.a8c31925caba488873f52c96e6d56df9.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3 answers to this question

It isnt ideal, but boring it out and getting oversized pistons is not a budget-friendly situation.

I say run it for now and if it ends up it has a little to much oil consumption/blowby/too little compression then you can buy a used engine or build another one on the side and do everything right.

It isnt ideal, but boring it out and getting oversized pistons is not a budget-friendly situation.

I say run it for now and if it ends up it has a little to much oil consumption/blowby/too little compression then you can buy a used engine or build another one on the side and do everything right.

Yeah I think that is going to be the plan, slap it together and see what happens. Any opinions on ring gap?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The "rule of thumb" my engine builder used was bore x .005 for upper compression ring and bore x .0055 for the lower compression ring which resulted in a cringeworthily small .016" and .018" gaps.

First of all use a piece of broken ring to make sure you clean all the carbon out of the grooves thoroughly.

Very important

The stock ring end gap for a stock non-boosted engine is

.012"-.020" upper

and .012"-.020" lower.

Some boosted V8 guys run .025" upper and lower gaps. The ring manufacturers will have some guidance as well

Personally I would go 020" upper and .022 lower at minimum. It was the lower rings that were wrecked the most from the thermal expansion on my engine.

fec94b0712260ac7df12f37455bfbb12.jpg