WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Closure

B C

1f0d2995ea673c7a0e92b1b9052d5ffc.jpg

135c4f98a7b6e288b16c11c44cdd3101.jpg

73772774d1dcdc378ca5845dadc5e4e1.jpg

ea72c7725576821f6d4e7cd35d260f72.jpg

I pulled the pistons from 5 and 6.

The problems I had were never about head gaskets and they were never about tuning. It was all about ring gap(thermal expansion makes the ends touch, buckle, and break out the ringland).

The smooth pieces were found in the recess by the wrist pin, so they had dropped out below the oil ring and got rock-tumbled between the cylinder wall and wrist-pin recess for some time.

I had made sure the engine builder knew this was for a boosted application and he acknowledged it and told me "The rule of thumb is ___ " wider per psi. But after checking the build sheet, he had set the gap to stock size.

Stock cast pistons don't help the situation at all, but they weren't the root cause here.

If I ever do a boosted setup again I will definitely spring for forged pistons, and will set the ring gaps myself.

Jesus and it only smoked a little?

Smoked like a Snoop Dogg concert on April 20th.

When i limped it as slow as possible you could still see and smell a cloud of burned oil behind the car . Any sort of throttle left a solid lingering cloud