WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

EV1 vs EV6 Injectors for OBD1 m50

jc43089

Question

So I am thinking that at least one injector is not working quite right on my m50, they do have a ton of miles on them.  Rather than just replace them with the same but new or have these rebuilt/flow tested I am looking at ev6 injectors for the better flow atomization.  Has anyone found some that would be a direct flow match or close enough to the stock m50 injectors?  The closest I have found is the 19lb/hr ones used in some Fords, that would probably require a tune though.

17 answers to this question

The plastic body EV6 19# injectors are good stuff. Keep in mind that the 17# injector rating for your M50 injectors is at 3.5 BAR

If you drop down to a 3.0 bar FPR (or adjustable FPR) the 19# injectors will flow 17.5# which will work fine with your stock tune.

The MarkD chip for Motronic 1.3 is for 17# OR 19# injectors. I used them both. It was not a problem for the ECU to adapt to the larger injectors and whatever difference in injector characteristics (latency, voltage/flow change etc) was not an issue at all.

19# injectors would flow 20.5# at 3.5 bar and I think you would have some problems there.

if you want to leave the FPR stock, email Jay over at Sssquid tuning. He would probably be able to make a tune for you.

http://sssquid.com/

I have been searching and what I have found is Bosch 0280155771 is an ev6 injector rated at 17lb/hr @ 3bar.  

According to a calculator here http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com/Fuel_Injector_Flow_Rates.html the flow rate at 3.5 bar is 18.36lb/hr.  Do you think a .86 lb/hr difference is in the range that the ECU can adapt for?  I would think so but have no experience messing with injector sizes.  I would guess that it is going to be better than the injectors I have that are nearing 300k miles...

Ordered a set of OE refurbished/matched set claiming to be within 2%.  We shall see.  It was only 65 bucks.  It seems to be a not very common injector, used in Ford Contours/Mystique with 2.5l SVT engine from 1998-2000, and Cougars in 1999.  No wonder it was hard to find a part number.  I'd rather not do a tune now, I already have a Dinan chip and this coupe is mostly a beater.  I would like to experiment and see how the gen3 design performs.  It would be great to know of a drop in upgrade.  People use m50 injectors in m20 engines too so this might be a good option for them too.

Installed last night.  I reset the computer so it is still adapting, it runs great, starts quicker and seems smooth.  I don't know how much is due to these injectors being freshly refurbished vs my old ones that may be original with a zillion miles on them and also sat for at least 5 years recently.

IMAG0402_zpsvcxog0ci.jpg

Glad to hear a positive report, i noticed crisper throttle response and slightly better mileage, there is no knowing for sure how much is attributed to dirty vs clean injectors like you said, but more modern design and better atomization is sure to benefit things