WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMW 8 Series Concept

B C

Now I understand why the 6 is getting axed. Its not too different from the 80's, let the 5 based 6 run for a few years and then introduce the 8. First glance is a bit polarizing for me with the large convex kidney grilles  but the overall shape and placement is very Maserati-style and I am okay with it. The wheels and ride height are very tame considering that this is a concept, which is nice, perhaps closer to the real deal and less heartbreak when the production model isn't sexy (Toyota FT-1 concept anyone?). It looks like its using the GPS-based cruise control that they have been using/toying with in the 7 Series and using It to give the driver a heads up on the road and corners ahead. I suspect its a kill-two-birds strategy to aid the development of the inevitable driverless cars

I'm a huge fan of GT coupes so I give it 8 blown head gaskets (out of 10 blown head gaskets)

40MP wallpaper quality images here: https://www.gtplanet.net/bmw-reveals-concept-8-series-day-early-images-leak-online/p90260634-highres/

P90260634-highRes-768x538.jpg

P90260685-highRes-768x513.jpg

P90260687-highRes-768x513.jpg

P90261150-highRes-713x1024.jpg

P90261165-highRes-768x576.jpg

P90261140-highRes-768x512.jpg

P90261130-highRes-768x512.jpg

Since the 8 has been out of the loop for so long , the strikingly different look is just that, striking.....compare the old 8 with every other at the time current BMW, it looked VERY different.

The big grill thing is something we will be seeing more and more, look at all the new Mercs.  Unfortunately this is due to every increasing pedestrian impact regs in Europe.  They want a larger vertical surface on cars so if a pedestrian is bumped at low speed they are more likley to go away from the car than on the hood or under the car. Mrc and BMW are hiding this large frontal surface with huge grilles.

I really like this new concept.  Best part is that the headlights don't touch the grilles.  The rest of the current line up went away from that, and they all look like everything else out there now.