WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Lsd diff pricing

AsparagusMike

Question

So I have been on the look out for a good condition 3.73 lsd medium diff for my e30 318is. Now I see quite a few on ebay anywhere from 500 to 700 dollars in pretty decent shape (just by the look of the pictures). What is a good price for one of these? What would be the recommended max price I should pay for one? Thank you

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

18 answers to this question

EBay tends to have a lot of recyclers that sell high. I'd avoid unless you can't wait.

Rebuilds from guys that sell to spec e30 racers go for $850 with a $250 core charge.

Forum sales and CL partouts for used medium case 3.73 lsd in good shape tend to go for $300-350 range. Seem harder to find these days though so be willing to jump on one when they pop up.

I have paid $50-$275 for them in fair to good mechanical condition and poor cosmetic condition. Anything for $250 or below is worth snagging if it looks good and you can trust the seller. Anything over $300 and id demand to see a breakaway test to make sure it has good initial lockup. I believe 50 ft-lbs is the torque value

The best LSD I bought was the S2.93 for $50. It was very tight, quiet, and had good lockup. Just an example that low cost does t always mean a POS

in Medium Case, the 3.91 ratio only came out of an E30 325ix which would be a VLSD/viscous coupling and has a [V] stamp on it. If it was an S3.91 clutch-type LSD from an E28 or something else then that would rock. It will have an stamp if its clutch type (sperrdiff) which is german for "lock diff" or something. Not to be confused with "sperdiff" which would be german for Sperm Diff.

That pic does look like a small-case diff from a 318is though. I could be wrong though.

in Medium Case, the 3.91 ratio only came out of an E30 325ix which would be a VLSD/viscous coupling and has a [V] stamp on it. If it was an S3.91 clutch-type LSD from an E28 or something else then that would rock. It will have an stamp if its clutch type (sperrdiff) which is german for "lock diff" or something. Not to be confused with "sperdiff" which would be german for Sperm Diff.

That pic does look like a small-case diff from a 318is though. I could be wrong though.

He said it was a medium case so it's probably the vicious one then. That blows

So, funny story. Started talking with a guy on Craigslist that was selling e30 parts and I told him I was looking for a lsd diff and he asked me about my car and we got to talking and I gave him the last 7 digits of my social security #, jk. The last 7 digits of my vin and I guess he was some fleet manager for car parts and he looked it up and I guess I have 4.10 lsd! It felt like a second Christmas when he said that. So sorry for waistin ur time guys, I guess I don't need a diff after all

5 minutes ago, AsparagusMike said:

So, funny story. Started talking with a guy on Craigslist that was selling e30 parts and I told him I was looking for a lsd diff and he asked me about my car and we got to talking and I gave him the last 7 digits of my social security #, jk. The last 7 digits of my vin and I guess he was some fleet manager for car parts and he looked it up and I guess I have 4.10 lsd! It felt like a second Christmas when he said that. So sorry for waistin ur time guys, I guess I don't need a diff after all

Post burnout vids to prove it.