WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 coilovers or spring/shocks

AsparagusMike

Question

Alright folks here's the scoop, I have myself a 91 e30 318is and I need some help. The cars stock with probably most of the original parts, It's got 118,000 miles on it. I got plans to drive it daily in the summer for now so I can kind of work all the bugs out of it. I have read so many forums and comments on the Frickin computer that my mind is gonna explode and I still feel clueless on what to do. The suspension.......is junk. The car is super bouncy and not good. You hit the gas to the floor and the car squats alot alot. Now first of all I should let you know that it aint gonna be much of a track car cause I live in the valley and there ain't nothin for tracks so yets call it a fun weekend car, that's what it's gonna be after this year. I was considering on buying some bc coilovers with swift springs. I read a lot about how they were good quality at a resonable price but I wasn't sure on whether it was really worth it (cause they are still like $1000 which is a lot of money I could put towards other parts) but if they are worth it I'm willing to spend it. Am i better off spending less and getting a nice set of springs and shocks? but which ones? How do they compare? Any help would be sweet. :) I also should include that when I say weekend fun, I mean like reckless driving and drifting so whatever I get better be able to handle my unlawfully crazy driving ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The expensive part of a traditional spring and damper combo is getting a quality damper that will work with a shorter spring. I have had H&R Sport springs with Bilstein Sport dampers and now run H&R Race springs. The difference in handling is significant with the Race springs and the ride quality penalty is minimal since the Sports always bottom out (too soft for how low they are).

A cheap coilover kit can be had for not much more than a quality spring and damper kit, and you will be able to adjust the ride height.

I cant remember what the spring rates were on the car with BC racing coilovers I drove, but the handling was stellar (Hankook RS3 helped with this) and the ride quality was great.

The main advantage to something like an H&R/Bilstein combo is that its a proven setup that is well matched and will last a long time.

I dont think you can go wrong either way. But if looks matter to you then the coilovers are probably your choice.

Okay cool....I think I might as well get the coilovers cause I did want to lower the car slightly so that it looks better with 15 inch wheels. Speaking of wheels, what is your guys opinion on the team dynamics pro 1.2 wheels 15x7's? They seem to be really well made, look pretty good, and are reasonably priced.

If still on stock parts with 118k anything you get will be an improvement. No surprise you're bouncing since stock dampers are shot if they've never been replaced.

Combo choice depends on many things including your road conditions and how stiff a ride you like. Ride in other cars if you can since what feels good can be a personal choice.

Sachs/Boge will be new stock, KYB as a cheap choice. Bilstein and Koni as much better step up. Koni are getting more love from some folks than Bilstein sport and/or HD for a street driven only car for less stiff of a ride on less than smooth roads.

H&R OE sport, sport, race springs change ride hight and ride stiffness. Snap is right on the sport-race tradeoff. I noticed the same thing when the track e30 was still street driven.

Also for anything but stock better get a skid plate for your car because an M42 oil pan already sits low and with any drop in ride height it's even more at risk.

I've got Bilstein sports and H&R OE sports on the street driven only 91 318is. Feel every expansion joint.

3 hours ago, Boris3 said:

Ride in other cars if you can since what feels good can be a personal choice.

x1,000,000 if you can do this. you can make an educated guess, but its hard to say what you'd like if you've never experienced it.

if you have the initial budget and ability to get your struts welded, go for the coilovers. it will make it cheaper/easier to tweak your preference down the line. 

10 hours ago, Snap said:

The difference in handling is significant with the Race springs and the ride quality penalty is minimal since the Sports always bottom out (too soft for how low they are).

You should cut the internal bump stops a bit. Its pretty easy to do and it sounds like it helps a decent amount

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=239380

if you have the initial budget and ability to get your struts welded, go for the coilovers. it will make it cheaper/easier to tweak your preference down the line. 

Yup I gotta a good friend that welds for a living so that won't be a problem.....I also just found out that the 91 318is has the 51mm strut housing, didn't know that. Also, for coilovers, what u guys think of the cx racing set? I read a couple other forums that they were a really good set for street use and hooligan activities, not so much for track though which is perfect! And a little cheaper then the bc racing ones.

I read a couple other forums that they were a really good set for street use and hooligan activities, not so much for track though which is perfect!

Hooligan-rated parts are best parts.

you should send paypal right now

forgot to add, you're welcome to ride/drive/inspect my car if you want some baseline. i have BC coils, 6k/10k. the ride is.....direct? you feel everything, but it doesnt bother me in the least, i love it. your results may vary if you have a woman's opinion emanating from the passenger seat. the quality of the parts seems really good, we will see on longevity.

6 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Isn't cxracing the same company that makes ebay turbo kits and things like that? If that's the case I wouldn't go that route for coilovers 

A good way to put it:

If eBay was weed it would be the shitty stuff sold by the sketchy guy in the back alley

Cxracing is the shitty stuff sold by someone not in a back alley, and puts it in baggies with their name on it.

Keep in mind that if you are selecting your own custom spring rates that the trailing arm creates a mechanical advantage that requires the rear springs to be extra stiff. If you choose a coil over that relocates the spring on top of the damper then that mechanical advantage is lost.

I have seen E30 kits come with both styles of rear spring. Over the damper, and in the stock location with an adjustable collar.

Okay well the bc racing coilovers have the rear springs located in the trailing arm like the stock ones so that would just mean that I would need stiffer springs for the rear. That explains what straight6pwr did....10k in the rear while 6k in the front to kind of even it out because of the mechanical advantage