WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Alpine White Zender Kit E24 633CSI

Jdesign

13 hours ago, Snap said:

I thought it looked pretty good when I saw it, looking forward to the final result though. I will have to pick your brain when it comes time to making mine look better

Good from a far, far from good. I'm not really a pro, but I enjoy learning. White is the easiest color to polish so im being pretty care free minus the fact I know the paint is thin. :/

53 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

Most of my cars have always been black. Paint correcting black SUCKS, and it's never clean anyways.

After buying a white and silver car, I was amazed and how easy it is to detail them.

Nice work so far! This stuff is tedious no matter which way you go about it.

I agree, black cars are the worst, but they look so good when freshly polished.

Thanks!

On 11/3/2017 at 8:55 PM, wasnt m3 said:

Oven cleaner works amazingly well to remove painted on pinstripes FYI 

I will have to try that, it seems like you are not alone with that suggestion. 

"oven cleaner works well for this. If you use the spray type spray some into the cap and brush it on with a small paint brush. After a minute wipe it off with a damp rag and wash with soap and water. Oven cleaner will remove the striping paint but not injure the paint underneath as long as you don't leave it on too long. If you are trying to remove a red pigmented color on white or other light color be warned that 1-Shot will likely have stained the base paint.It is also dangerous to use this method on alklyd enamel;single stage paint or nitrocellulose lacquer. Urethanes don't seem to be affected very much but always try an out of the way spot to make sure it doesn't soften the paint"

-The H.A.M.B.

Sweet, exactly why I have to re-stripe the car. 

• 1 month later...

Still slowly polishing this into something respectable. Its a slow process as its not one of the more exciting things to do. I have most of the trim and side skirts off and have scrubbed and cleaned the seats and carpet. I haven't taken any pictures to share, but I will. I need to get it back on the lift and install all new belts, check the timing belt, and install the new shifter bushings. 

11 hours ago, YoungCR said:

*timing chain

Further proving that I have not checked into it. LOL thanks Chris.

On another note, I allowed Earl to bring his car to my shop in order to help him make some progress. With that we were talking about this car and that I should add an additional decorative stripe to the car to help cover the aftermath of the pinstripe and add some "interest" to the car. This morning I made this quick Zender graphic based on the optional graphics available for the E21. I think the word Zender should be smaller, but its a good start.

Zender stripe.jpg

5 hours ago, Snap said:

I do like the Zender stripe but make it REALLY 80’s with a yellow orange red gradient

6eee9151196ec33ee2164b14c398d7f3.jpg

Yesss. I like that. I think I am going to go up and over the rear wing too. similar to this: 

Image result for E12 m525iImage result for vintage livery race car 959

2 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I think that would look great!! Especially if it were rolling on some super 80's wheels like centra type 7's or something like that, you aren't keeping the RS's right?

Im not sure about the RS's. Centras would be super cool but I think I will do something basic if I don't stick to the RS's. Like Style 5's or style 32's

01.jpgImage result for style 32's white e24

So I found out that if you remove 30 year old tint, you probably get cancer if you dont wear a respirator. I woke up with a sore throat after spending an hour inside a confined E24 with a steam cleaner and toxic fumes from old window tint adhesive.

Luckily, all the old purple tint came off in solid chunks. Unluckily, there is still large amounts of adhesive on the windows and the smell is still present, meaning I will have to return to finish the job.

Before:

IMG_6047.JPGIMG_6048.JPG

During:

IMG_6049.JPGIMG_6050.JPG 

After:   *sorry that its hard to notice*

IMG_6052.JPG

IMG_6051.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

Just now, Snap said:

You have all the fun tools!

I just bought the steam cleaner to do the job. $50 new @ dealer cost. Apparently it can purify the water so you dont need to get distilled water like most steam cleaners. (I used distilled anyways not knowing this till I read the directions)  Blew my mind that it only takes 15seconds to heat the water and make steam. 

On 1/2/2018 at 11:01 AM, suspenceful said:

Nice! I didn't want to make a comment about the tint before, glad you removed it. I tried doing this on my old E36 and failed miserably.

I have removed tint on a few cars. THIS car was the absolutely worst one I have dealt with. The worst part is I got sick and felt like I was going to die and haven't finished. I actually fear finishing the job now. I did open the windows to let the car fumigate and added an air neutralizer, so hopefully that helps.

Put this on the lift last night. I got new V-belts on all the accessories, the tint adhesive off of two of the 5 windows, and started on the shift bushings. Slow progress is better than no progress! 

I tried to take better pictures with the tint removed but the glare and lighting was so bad I gave up. I will post more pictures soon!

Picture fail, shifter success. 

I machined some new shifter bushings out of delrin and installed them. I swear I remember taking pictures before and after and how nice my new bushings were before I installed them. Now looking through my pictures they are no where to be found. All I have is a picture of the metal sleeves from the ones that were in the car.(that's all that was left) I got it all back together and it feels AMAZING now. Before it was so vague it felt fragile to shift in every gear. 

IMG_6128.JPG

• 1 month later...

Another update!!

HUGE LANGUAGE BARRIER -but-  I finally found a front valance. I saw an ad for a guy selling an E24 that was in rough shape, but it ran and drove and was located in Milwaukee. I contacted him and he said someone was coming to buy his E24 that day. So I asked about the front valance and convinced him to remove it prior to the sale.

Long story short I have a valance and the brackets finally. This means I can properly mount the Zender lip!!! 

Image result for BMW E24 valance28278312_846865028818847_1317028132_o.jp

I will be ordering all of the steering components today that the car still needs to be 100% road worthy. Once they come in, I will follow up with some nice install pictures!

Parts to order / find

• Front springs
  • Tie rods
  • Steering Arm
  • Trailing Arms
  • Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint 
  • Ball joints
  • Right rear window switch (in the rear of the car)
  • Battery tie down
  • Front valance
  • Speakers (4 minimum)
  • Shift Bushing
  • Wipers
  • Tail light surrounds (might need to make my own)
  • Interior dash blanks
  • fog lights
  • Door light switch

Labor

• Remove tint
  • Muffler/ rear exhaust
  • Install v belts
  • Adjust steering box
  • Extreme interior detail/ buffing session
  • New brake pads / Rebuild caliper
  • Turn signal Relay needs to be cleaned or replaced

• Jdesign changed the title to Alpine White Zender Kit E24 633CSI