WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

On 6/16/2017 at 5:11 PM, Daggerty said:

What plugs and gap are you running? Air fuel ratios good intake it?

NGK BRK7E at .022"
Ratio spikes rich now, but more on that in a second.

I was having a hard time keeping all 6 cylinders running due to a plug on the high current side of the coil drivers and I got around to changing that plug this weekend to something more robust with better contact. Boy did that make a difference! I still have some rich spots that cause breakup but I'm working on smoothing those out. The car moves very well now, and I had my first run in with the police for the year! No ticket, just a warning or two. 

Traction in second gear has become entirely optional, my tires wont be lasting long. 

On 6/19/2017 at 0:12 PM, HipMF said:

sooo...

burnout vids then?

I'll have to see if Eric caught one when I was giving him a ride.

Got the old starter out last night and the new one in there, the new one had threaded holes in it and that seemed like it may have made it a bit easier. 
I'm looking forward to not needing someone armed with a screwdriver to start my car! 

While the car is in the air I will be installing my electronic boost controller so I can run my desired 16psi (currently at 13.7) and be able to do a bit more with megasquirt if I choose to do so. 
I will also be adding the E fan back to the corner of the radiator for the time being until I get a large and very thin pusher for between the radiator and intercooler. 

I ordered a muffler for the car as I am getting a bit tired of how loud it is and will be getting that installed next week by the guy that made my exhaust. The muffler is a straight through design so it shouldn't it quiet it down too much but I'm hoping it will remove some of the drone when cruising. 

I am also thinking about running the BOV's in a recirc configuration as those are also extremely loud. I may also try piping their outlets down towards the ground and see if that helps before going recirc. 

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

i've never done SS lines on my cars, is there a pretty good pedal response improvement compared to the rubber lines?

I had some pretty bad hard lines in the rear of the car, but with that being said the pedal feel is largely improved as there is very little squish in the pedal. 
I think it is was a worthy upgrade and would certainly recommend it to a friend. 

12 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I have two aluminum Bosch style bypass valves

You can drill 1/8 inch holes throughout the hose, or route them into a box with some stuffing of some sort with wire mesh on the outlet to stop it from coming out. 

What's stopping you from routing it to the intake.

• 2 weeks later...

I said I shouldn't look in my motor, but when I changed plugs (another step colder) I looked at the pistons and 1-5 looked good. Cylinder six looks as follows.

2017-07-05_07-41-32

Breakup is still happening with the new plugs. 
Full boost is okay up to redline but full throttle is not. Not sure what the heck is going on, tried adding timing, removing timing, adding fuel, removing fuel, plugs, and reworking some grounds and it doesn't seem to have changed any. I'm thinking of changing the injector and maybe coil pack, but beyond that I'm running out of ideas other than building a new harness to ensure it's not something with that. Going to post over on the MS forums to see if anyone has insight as to what's going on. 

1 hour ago, Daggerty said:

May just be weak coils and the spark isn't strong enough under high boost. You could try dropping down the gap some more to see if your issue is in spark power.

I knew that would come up, but I can hit full boost, it's full throttle that gives me problems. Plan is to switch coils (seems odd but worth a shot at this point)
I'm plugs at .018" and it made no difference from .023"

1 hour ago, Snap said:

I cant remember if it was you or someone else, but did you get rid of the MAP based accel enrichment and run 100% TPS based yet?

MAP based is some bullcrap

Twas I, but accel enrichment doesn't appear to be a factor in the issue. It's not active when the issue happens, nor does it not happen when it is active. 

So under part throttle full boost it is fine but at full throttle when more fuel is added that may be where the spark is leaving. 

If your harness for the coils is in a area where it is getting hot, obviously it's in the engine bay, but a long amount of the harness. With more heat and wire there is more voltage drop so the coils might not be getting the power they need.

5 minutes ago, Daggerty said:

So under part throttle full boost it is fine but at full throttle when more fuel is added that may be where the spark is leaving. 

If your harness for the coils is in a area where it is getting hot, obviously it's in the engine bay, but a long amount of the harness. With more heat and wire there is more voltage drop so the coils might not be getting the power they need.

I am running MS3x so it is a MAP based fuel and timing setup, so there is no difference in logs between partial and full throttle when at full boost. 

I typically run the beauty cover with heat shielding, but haven't looked too much at other wiring to ensure that it doesn't get too hot. Certainly something that I should look at.