WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

Ordered some e36 radiator hoses and an e34 intake boot, bout 30 after shipping, a lot less than I had anticipated! Ordered it at about 10am, already sent it out! Gotta love pelican parts, especially when paired with realOEM. Also bought a lovely clutch:) s50ltw flywheel with a sachs OEM clutch and pressure plate. Couldn't be any happier with the, or the clutch setup! If anyone has an m/s50 starter, hit me up!

Posted Image

Day I brought her home

Posted Image

Old motor coming out, she didn't run so well, more on that in a second. I opened her up and guess what I found!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

That was a bit of an issue. Bought an m20 out an IX from a local guy, had no clue it didn't work with the I car, so I was kind of stuck. I bought the car to replace the white car in winter, I didn't want to drive the white car in the winter and planned on just putting a new motor into the red car and driving it in winter. Then I found an .m50 online for 130 dollars. My mind was set, m50 swap and five speed swap it was. Spent a lot of time cleaning out the engine bay too!

Before Posted Image

After some love

Posted Image

This car is a crazy red!

Some random motor shots, I picked up a motor from the junkyard for parts. Posted Image

So yeah. Lots of fun, more to.come!

I just did this all on my phone lol.

Yay for delays! Had one spark plug in today and was turning the motor over, and never reached a good compression, she kind of leaked out air. Just looked at it more, the exhaust valves for cylinder 3 are white (too hot) where the rest are a greyish white (proper) So either the head has a plugged area in the water jacket right there, or the valve seals are shot. Head has to come off either way, and to be honest it scares me a bit. No pictures of valves right now, but I may post some up tomorrow, anyone who has removed a head from an e36 motor feel free to chime in on how to do it, I am sure it is nice and simple but at this point it makes me a bit nervous!