WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I am running MS3x so it is a MAP based fuel and timing setup, so there is no difference in logs between partial and full throttle when at full boost. 

I typically run the beauty cover with heat shielding, but haven't looked too much at other wiring to ensure that it doesn't get too hot. Certainly something that I should look at. 

Is it using rpm also? 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it was frustrating as hell while it lasted. 

IMG_20170722_133454

I had reworked a few things after realizing that my main ground wire was nearing 300 degrees, and this helped clear up some of the timing issues I think I was having. I went out for a cruise and it felt smoother after the car warmed up, but I was still getting breakup and I held it for a second then it reeked of oil. Took it back to the shop knowing what was going on. Confirmed it when I pulled out the coil packs and had fresh oil in the plug wells. 
She done.

IMG_20170722_164101

Turbo setup is accounted for and will not be returning to anything I own. 

Started tearing it apart right away, and will be throwing rings at it again and just running it NA. 

• 1 month later...

I should probably make a bit of an update here! 
I had pulled the motor and checked the rings on cylinder 5, they were fine. Turns out the cut-ring gasket didn't set right and a valve clipped the ring and caused some issues. I put the motor back together in a cheater fashion and got bit bad by doing so, and had to pull the motor again and redo the head gasket properly. I got the motor in and fired up yesterday and it runs well. Now to get the rest of the car back together! 
Plan is to get it back together and post it for sale, but I'll drive it until it sells. 
It's been a good time, but it's time to move on!

Eh, a lot of it comes down to the fact that I had a project going so long for it and failed/gave up/didn't finish it and that part really gets to me, and the car itself is a reminder of that lol.
I have also done pretty much everything I can to the car (less forced induction), so like any reasonable WIBimmers member need to get rid of it because it is now too reliable and will require no repairs. 
School costs play a small factor as well. 

• 3 weeks later...