WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Build Thread?

GunMetalGrey

I'm already on ~10k rear springs (570lb/in) so I don't think I really need to go higher in spring rate.

The only site I have found at this point that sells rear shocks separately is BC, and their rear spring rate is 8k.

I only need the rear shocks, as I already have upgraded rear shock mounts from IE. 

In the long run I would also upgrade the fronts, but I am now realizing that it may create a weird situation... 

Edit: Is buying just front coilovers a thing?

If we are both 10K in the rear, your shocks must be very worn (thinking back to the autox when we were comparing car setups)

Could also contact ground control for some front only or rear only setups????

• 5 weeks later...

One of my black friday purchases, that wasn't even on sale!

2016-12-09_07-53-14

I went with an OEM+ e36 radiator for the car, we will see if it has the cooling capacity required and if not I will go with something larger. This should be a large improvement over my m42 rad. 
I plan on relocating the oil cooler as well, and should finally have room to put a 16" pusher fan on the rad!

I also ordered a set of subframe riser bushings, that still have not shown up.

• 5 weeks later...

M42 radiator was removed to make way for the OEM + E36/E30 radiator. This will require me to relocate my oil cooler lines as they had been running under the expansion tank of the m42 radiator. I am looking forward to the increased cooling capacity of this radiator, and relocating the oil cooler to allow me space for a 16" spal pusher. 

Rear subframe was dropped in preparation for 12mm riser bushings. My camber was at a touch over 2.5 degrees as it sat before and I hope to reduce that slightly so when the car squats under power from the reworked power plant I don't lose all of my traction! 

IMG_20170116_205550086

I have also been working quite a bit on cleaning and rearranging the shop. It's quite nice!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I know we have been complaining about Garagistic lately so I figured I would post this for a bit of contrast. 
I order soft brake lines for this, as I will explain in a moment, and went with condor for reasons that I'm unaware of. They made the shipping label on a sunday which surprised me, and got delivered on thursday which was neat. 
Package contained a few extras

2017-02-24_07-46-47

There was a steering wheel ad in there too which I didn't take a picture of, and their packaging was nice. Overall they do a great job in my experiences with them.

I was debating changing the brake lines on the rear end of the car (above the fuel tank / sub frame) while the sub frame was still on the floor. I asked a friend to come tell me what he thought about it and he asked me to point out which lines I was questioning. He then grabbed a side cutters out of his pocket and pinched the lines shut lol. 
In all honesty it was a very good thing, but was quite funny at the time. The lines were pretty crusty and the soft lines are quite old. Going to bend up some new hard lines tonight and get the sub frame back in the car with the new brake lines. 

I plan on doing the other lines when I replace the brakes, which I will probably do 2 days before a half mile race, along with painting the calipers and possibly rebuilding them. 

Picture of brake lines being replaced (after removal)

IMG_20170224_195228489

After about 3 hours I finally came up with this, and it was stupid. Though in the long run it will be worth it. 

2017-02-24_10-38-07

After doing this I went to get the subframe back in and ran into the subframe lower plate (?) not lining up on the drivers side but being fine on the passenger side. Don't know why, and will be looking into it tomorrow.

IMG_20170224_212943207