WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

jc43089

• 2 weeks later...

400ish miles so far, it runs better the more I drive it.  Sitting for 5 years is no good for any engine.  After adjusting the throttle stop it idles properly and has no codes.  It was held open a little.  

I replaced the rear springs with the Eibach ones from my other car, it raised about 3/4" but the ride is way better and doesn't rub except over big bumps which I can deal with.  The wheels are 17x8 et13.  That explains the rubbing.  The hub bore is also too large, I assume they were intended for an e39?  I also removed the stickers as it isn't stancy enough to have cool guy stickers.

I ordered a few parts now that I feel confident that it runs well.  RSM's, hardware for X-Brace, oil filter housing gasket, vanos oil line, cabin air filter, radiator clips, hood release cable, Spal 16" fan ( I can't stand the mechanical fan), and front control arm bushings (centered m style ones).

Next up will be some cooling system work to make sure everything is solid.

LSD works, I left 2 black streaks each time on 3 attempts.

58 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Were you driving through a fucking monsoon!?  I have never heard of that happening.  It almost seems to defy gravity lol.  Any pictures?

I've had it happen on the compact in the past. It rolls off of the rain tray and onto the valve cover

Were you driving through a fucking monsoon!?  I have never heard of that happening.  It almost seems to defy gravity lol.  Any pictures?

I've had it happen on the compact in the past. It rolls off of the rain tray and onto the valve cover

This ^ it was very little water, just enough to short out cylinder 5 or 6. Both of them had water around the plug. It ran good when I left the house and got worse the farther I went so I assume the water got in there from driving.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I had an exciting morning... Made it almost 7 miles from my house and the front differential mount bolt snapped preventing any forward progress without terrible scraping of the driveshaft on the floor pan.  Not sure why it snapped today, I was just cruising along.  My phone didn't have reception so I started walking/jogging towards home trying to hitch hike.  Well nobody stopped so that took an hour and a half.  Also needed a shower because of mega sweaty action.  I drove back with ramps and tools in the wagon after calling AAA.  I took the bumper cover off while I waited which was easy because only 3 self tapping screws held it on and got it loaded onto a rollback truck without a problem.  Got it home and unloaded into the garage and sure enough...

IMAG0380_zpslissmnq9.jpg

I realized after getting more than half way that a better idea would have been to just drive in reverse along the shoulder but then it was too late for that.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with my general hooning around ;) I guess some people just drive around lamely with never even one tire losing traction.  I don't see where the fun is in that?

It might have something to do with me telling a coworker yesterday that he should have fun and do a burnout once in awhile and that I giver every day and nothing ever breaks.

I made a "bushing" from stainless steel and Nylatron which is a lubricant embedded nylon, because it was in the cutoff pile at work not really for any special reason.

IMAG0387_zpsex2x63vn.jpg

IMAG0388_zpsinqgol3e.jpg

IMAG0390_zpsdr6pfcco.jpg

The fit turned out great into the subframe, I could have gone 1-2 thousandths smaller but I got it in.  No pics of it installed because it was 11pm, I will get some another day.

I drilled the hole in the differential larger to use a 1/2" bolt with a nut on the back rather than the casting threads.  I had to grind some on the casting to get the nut in there.

IMAG0392_zps5h6p4l2u.jpg

IMAG0393_zpsgkyjwf2s.jpg

The old bushing was a struggle even with the air chisel.  I didn't realize it had rubber on the outside of the outer sleeve.

IMAG0386_zpsu36fvjdw.jpg

Back in action, I drove it to work today and it seems great.  Fun fact: the bolts holding the axles to the differential flange were all able to be removed by hand, yes I did not have to rotate the axles to get all 6, they were so loose I just reached around the axle and took them out with my fingers.  Pretty sweet.