WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

jc43089

5 hours ago, YoungCR said:

Those rear carrier bushings are a pain, I've just started buying these now. It slips right over the carrier with the stock nubs on the end still. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-392619-turner-shifter-bushing-assembly-e28-e30-e34/ Guess they don't have a e36 version yet though :(

That would be nice, the e36 has a different style bracket to do the same thing.  It looks as though the bean counters saved a few pennies.  It's not bolted on, just snaps into a part welded to the bottom of the tunnel.  

On 12/9/2017 at 9:03 AM, YoungCR said:

Those rear carrier bushings are a pain, I've just started buying these now. It slips right over the carrier with the stock nubs on the end still. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-392619-turner-shifter-bushing-assembly-e28-e30-e34/ Guess they don't have a e36 version yet though :(

Turner does make one! I think they just came out with it. Its a little more pricey that the stock genuine BMW part, but will probably outlast the car

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-motorsport-parts/turner-polyurethane-shifter-arm-bushing/021012tms02~a/

Those rear carrier bushings are a pain, I've just started buying these now. It slips right over the carrier with the stock nubs on the end still. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-392619-turner-shifter-bushing-assembly-e28-e30-e34/ Guess they don't have a e36 version yet though [emoji20]

Turner does make one! I think they just came out with it. Its a little more pricey that the stock genuine BMW part, but will probably outlast the car

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-motorsport-parts/turner-polyurethane-shifter-arm-bushing/021012tms02~a/

Totally would have paid that to save 2 hours of messing around...

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, m42b32 said:

Funny cause I even searched around for that! But yes it's totally worth the price. 

• 2 weeks later...

Working a half day today and then overhauling cooling system and putting a newer starter in.  Really rough time getting it started this morning.  It drove well back to Wausau to visit family over Christmas.  We made record time on the way there.  270 miles in 3:47.  Yes that is an average speed of 72 mph including a 5 minutes potty break stop. 

I tried out my sister and brother in law's car wash.  It soaked number 2, 4, 5, and 6 spark plug boots again.  I have the beauty cover installed but the ring that seals around the oil fill is missing.  That must be the problem.

Also coupes are the dumbest thing ever invented.  the door glass freezes, water sprays in when you go through a car wash, it's a pain to get kids buckled in the back seat.  The question is: are 2 door cars "cooler" just because they are just less practical?

22 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Working a half day today and then overhauling cooling system and putting a newer starter in.  Really rough time getting it started this morning.  It drove well back to Wausau to visit family over Christmas.  We made record time on the way there.  270 miles in 3:47.  Yes that is an average speed of 72 mph including a 5 minutes potty break stop. 

I tried out my sister and brother in law's car wash.  It soaked number 2, 4, 5, and 6 spark plug boots again.  I have the beauty cover installed but the ring that seals around the oil fill is missing.  That must be the problem.

Also coupes are the dumbest thing ever invented.  the door glass freezes, water sprays in when you go through a car wash, it's a pain to get kids buckled in the back seat.  The question is: are 2 door cars "cooler" just because they are just less practical?

They're great for 2 people!  The back seat is really more for storage of empty water bottles than fitting people.  I think they're "cool" because they are impractical which is viewed as purpose built.  Personally I prefer sedans.

Well I still needed to jump it this morning.  I think it's time for a new battery.  It has a pretty small and pretty old looking Fleet Farm battery currently.  Recommendations?  I have an Optima Red top in my truck that I originally had in my other e36 and it is 9 years old and still works good so I might go that route but I would prefer a USA made battery, they switched to Mexico a while ago, the one I bought 9 years ago is from Mexico.  

The overhaul yesterday went well.  Took about 7 hours but I was in the heated shop where I work.  Replaced, thermostat, water pump, all of the coolant hoses, oil filter housing gasket, Vanos feed hose, and put a different starter in.  The original starter was pretty tired.  And filled it with Genuine blue coolant.  The heat is super hot now, previously it was weak to medium.  I think it was mostly the flushing debris out but maybe the Stewart high flow water pump helps too.  The water pump was a Meyle one with a cast impeller, dated '05.

This was from the other day making some cups to remove/install the rear ball joints.

3OXyfGw.jpg?1

Getting started.

cckcvBO.jpg?1

It appears there is a bit of blowby carrying oil around to the intake...

IadhygT.jpg?2

Heater hose routing for reference.

TnjmL2Z.jpg?1

Old starter oit.

opkOBmi.jpg?1

Scored a 17mm Mac socket under the starter.

sPlmEgm.jpg?1

Oil filter housing removed.  Super filthy.  This picture was after I had scraped off a thick layer of grime.

RyraBYw.jpg?1

Starter and all new coolant hoses installed.

NkbxJG7.jpg?1

Filled and bled coolant.  It warms right up and the heat works awesome now.

NHR8w3t.jpg?1

36 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Take a ride east and go buy a Farm and Fleet battery!  Made in Pennsylvania by East Penn Manufacturing.

I have seen at Farm and Fleet AGM batteries that are colored like Optima red, yellow, blue but are square instead of looking like a 6 pack.  Do you know who makes those?  I like the AGM because it doesn't vent and cause rust in the trunk.

9 minutes ago, Snap said:

The one OBD2 component I really wanted to keep was the cyclonic oil separator but a catch can will suffice.

I really hope to see your white car back together in all its restored glory one of these days.

Yea I should install a catch can.  But some top end lube isn't the worst.  It pools in the intake manifold though because of how the runners leave the log part up high.  Then when you drive hard it seems to suck it in, that's when I see blue smoke.  I only add a quart every 1500ish miles and a lot of that is leaks too.

The sedan will be back someday.  I hope to pour concrete in the barn/shop next summer, then I have a place to work on it.  A bunch of time was taken up this summer with animal stuff.  We got some American Guinea Hogs in addition to our flock of chickens so we were learning lots.

2 hours ago, jc43089 said:

I have seen at Farm and Fleet AGM batteries that are colored like Optima red, yellow, blue but are square instead of looking like a 6 pack.  Do you know who makes those?  I like the AGM because it doesn't vent and cause rust in the trunk

Im pretty confident its also made by East Penn but I will find out for sure.

18 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

@jc43089 My buyer confirmed that they are also made by East Penn.

Thanks!

I seem to be losing fuel at a rapid rate. 1/3 tank gone in 60 miles is not right.  I can't find a drip anywhere though.  I did check the vacuum line on the FPR and no gas in there.  Injector stuck open?  Wouldn't that cause it to run horrible?  It idles a little high but seems smooth and I just had the battery disconnected so it is still adapting.

4 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Thanks!

I seem to be losing fuel at a rapid rate. 1/3 tank gone in 60 miles is not right.  I can't find a drip anywhere though.  I did check the vacuum line on the FPR and no gas in there.  Injector stuck open?  Wouldn't that cause it to run horrible?  It idles a little high but seems smooth and I just had the battery disconnected so it is still adapting.

Check the gauge. Otherwise I would test all the injectors. 

10k miles on the car so far.  Runs like a champ except starting is a challenge below 0.  Monday morning I knew it was going to be really cold so I put it on ramps in the garage and put a pair of 250w chicken heat lamps under it.  Were block heaters or oil pan heaters ever available for the e36?