WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

jc43089

Found this gem at a farm auction.  Took it home for 450$ after fees and all that good stuff.  Trailered it home, because it cranks but wouldn't start.  I think the no start even with starting fluid is due to a janky security system, halo rings and tail lights were flashing all crazy like when the key is turned on.  Cranked it onto the trailer with the starter so that seems pretty strong...  It has Bilsteins and some blue springs that have been cut and reattached together with some zip ties, seems legit.  It's a good thing I brought my wooden ramps to use with the trailer ramps, it still scraped a little on the exhaust.  

Hopefully I have some time to work on it soon, first is to do a compression test and then figure out what's up with the sketchy electrical stuff to see it I can get it running.  Backup plan is to put my other m50 in and drive it for a while.  I should probably remove the cop attracting stickers, I would rather not have my car sniffed every time a cop catches sight of me.

Another nice surprise was the 272k on the odometer when I turned it on, it's been around the block a few times.

IMAG0155_zpsulfqwf25.jpg

IMAG0182_zps91izdwfl.jpg

IMAG0179_zpsaiyu1qox.jpg

I read the thread title without noticing the poster's username and braced myself as I clicked expecting to find a new user with a gaudy e30 that would inevitably be a one-post-ghost.

Now that I see its you, and the auction E36, I feel no better because the decals, M3 badge, and plate frame are a reminder that so many car enthusiasts are idiots.

Looking forward to the atrocities and the revival.

23e0eb90c1af7c2e50732a11639218b2.jpg

Build a big beautiful motor and make the E36 great again

Yea, wait till I get some close ups of the awesome ebay turbo kit and suspension mods.  My guess is the car looked pretty nice about 10 years ago.  Last plate sticker is from 2013 with none underneath, so my guess is that is when the PO bought it.  Apparently it was a grandson/grandfather project but the kid got in some trouble, I should probably give it a thorough search for baggies to find them before I inevitably get pulled over in it.

2 hours ago, jc43089 said:

Yea, wait till I get some close ups of the awesome ebay turbo kit and suspension mods.  My guess is the car looked pretty nice about 10 years ago.  Last plate sticker is from 2013 with none underneath, so my guess is that is when the PO bought it.  Apparently it was a grandson/grandfather project but the kid got in some trouble, I should probably give it a thorough search for baggies to find them before I inevitably get pulled over in it.

At least you got your monies worth that eBay turbo kit is 500 dollars!

5 hours ago, jc43089 said:

You should certainly do a cavity search. My E30 has "man made"  hidden compartments between the rear seat and the trunk.  The first time I got pulled over, the cops seemed "familiar" with the car as I got the full cavity search done for me with dogs and about 7 squads on the side of the freeway. <_<

Found a Dinan throttle body and chip so far, and I don't think the car ever started with the turbo because the icv was plugged so no air could get in... I will be removing the turbo because I don't have time or money to finish it right now.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I got it up on jack stands yesterday.  This lowrider life is a chore...

Engine bay shot

IMAG0205_zps1tapd0r2.jpg

Dinan BBTB

IMAG0185_zpsa4tesbkd.jpg

Super awesome "boost controller" it says it is "high performance" I am a little skeptical.

IMAG0192_zpsogxjkxjb.jpg

Looks like they were nice vintage H&R spring before somebody took a grinder to them.  Maybe it wasn't a complete set so he used half for each side of the car??

IMAG0200_zpswj1xmaiz.jpg

IMAG0203_zpsys1vyrz7.jpg

Sweet action boost piping

IMAG0199_zpswv19qmrf.jpg

IMAG0194_zpsnfjznbsq.jpg

Dryer vent intake, easy routing at least.  It had an ancient Spectre filter jammed on the end of it.

IMAG0190_zpsrnfpmxzi.jpg

I am not sure how it works if you plug the ICV hose...

IMAG0186_zpsfbvcn5ad.jpg

No milkshake here or oil cap so that seems good.

IMAG0187_zpsijwxgqjk.jpg

And a dead Fleet Farm battery to top it off.

IMAG0206_zps0ynaiftx.jpg

My first steps have been to remove the janky security system.  And get it up on jack stands to check out the bottom.  It has some rust so i don't feel bad about it being a work beater.  Next I am going to remove the turbo and exhaust and install the exhaust from my other car to run it N/A for now.  I don't have time or money to finish it properly right now.  I will see how it is with the Dinan chip and BBTB.  I am pretty excited to drive a BMW again, even a junk one...

I don't think it is swapped.  I think the car was pretty nice looking at some time5-10 years ago.  The PO bought it in 2013 and never drove it, legally at least, because the license plate stickers go from '13 to '18 with none in between and the title was a recently acquired replacement.

Maybe I will get a surprise but I doubt it.  I haven't gotten far enough into it to see the stamped numbers.  It has a 413 red label ecu but who knows what the Dinan chip is set up for.  It does have a tilt wheel!

Make sure to hang your muffler properly folks.

IMAG0210_zpsuyynlfxx.jpg

Also route exhaust "as the crow flies" for best results.

IMAG0211_zpsdrrdpq6h.jpg

Shining that beast up.

IMAG0217_zpsrl4hvig6.jpg

Pretty nice no name turbo, it just says "WSHH" on the exhaust housing.  They must be rated by the sound they make.

IMAG0219_zps0s4oxqyt.jpg

IMAG0218_zps5rti7ywf.jpg

IMAG0220_zpsoslpty0x.jpg

At least I have all of this reusable exhaust mounting hardware.

IMAG0213_zpslecmbago.jpg

I was working on the awesomely fun task of installing exhaust manifolds on a 24v engine, all 24 of them.  I was able to see the VIN sticker on the back of the head.  It appears to be the original.  Bummer I was hoping it had been swapped long ago when a more caring PO had it.  Oh well.  I also pulled the plugs and they all looked nice.  No cylinders steam cleaned...

I've just been cleaning stuff up and making sure everything is ok-ish.  The ICV hoses were shot so I ordered new ones and PCV hoses.  Also ordered new orange intake gaskets for the intake manifold to head and to throttle body.  I am putting my stock exhaust from my sedan on so I ordered new downpipe gaskets and donuts for the muffler section.  Also ordered new NGK plugs because it had funky Champion ones.  

Rockauto has coil boots for 4.37$ ea.  The listed brand is "Prenco" but the photo shows Bremi so I will let you know what I get.  It said wholesaler closeout 

Total spent so far, 460$ for the car, 142.47 from FCP, 30.90 from rockauto.  633.37

It just said "93 M3, needs work".  The auction was mostly farm machinery and was in rural MN.  It wasn't that great of a deal, its trashed on the bottom from being so low, the door card fell off when I shut the door...etc.  The rockers are rusted some from drilling and putting on the late model side skirts.  Running and driving well it's probably worth 1500 max.