WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Car storage

Boris3

So after two years of promises/threats to completely tear up my street to do some water main and trunk line work to meet water needs elsewhere in the city, the fine planners of New Berlin have found a contractor willing to do the job cheap enough at $1.3mil. End result is about 3/4 mile of road gets torn up from late March-October with my house smack in the middle of the construction zone.

To add to the fun we apparently lose car access to our street and driveways in the process. Exact road work schedule isn't clear or where we're supposed to park our dailys. That I can live with but the track car stored at home may no longer work.

Best local price for a 10x20 unit near where I store the trailer is $107 / month. Suggestions for other options welcomed.

Can they really plan 'no access' and make all the residence hump it up and down the construction zone to get to their cars parked...where? seems excessive, and possibly not legal? What about anyone on your street who may have disabilities?

Joe did heavy research on this garage subject, he may be able to help. I only did a little looking in the fall, and from what I saw $107 for an enclosed spot is a good deal around MKE.

Agreed. We have a mix of old and young folks on the street. Some of the old folks who attended a public meeting last fall came away with concerns that humping down the street was the plan. They were not happy. Problem is we haven't been given much info since. Should be a fun summer.

3 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

Joe did heavy research on this garage subject, he may be able to help. I only did a little looking in the fall, and from what I saw $107 for an enclosed spot is a good deal around MKE.

I found that the best place to search for space where you would be allowed to work on a car was the "parking & storage" section of craigslist. $107 isn't bad for a 10x20 storage unit, but they most likely wont let you work on anything. The flip side is that it will most likely be more secure than renting a random garage. If you have any intentions of working on the car I would recommend looking for something 'private', where the landlord is fine with car work. 

Generally, the closer you get to Milwaukee, the more expensive things get

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Snap said:

sheesh, this must be some real important project

So they keep saying. One mile and a summer of mayhem for us that benefits the rest of the city of New Berlin points west. Snap you've obviously been using too much water and the neighbors were complaining about low pressure in their showers or something.

Round one was laying new 8" water pipes on our side of the street. Round two is connecting the household lines to the main, which seems to involve digging up everything they dug up before and carving 4'x10' by 8' deep trench holes in everyone's lawn. Round three will be digging up and replacing the old main line on the other side of the street and replacing it with a 12" main, and I expect digging up everything they already dug up twice to re-reconnect everything they already connected. And somewhere after all of this they repave the street...

• 4 weeks later...