WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

2017 WI Bimmers Spring Meet and Cruise - Saturday, April 15th, 2017

wasnt m3

I don't have any direct responses for anyone here - I'm just going to say some things broadly about the "car enthusiast" scene in the year 2017. 

The issues being discussed here can mostly be traced back to the self-esteem movement and telling everyone they're special when they really aren't, and that everybody should just let everybody do whatever they want and be inclusive of that. 

Here's a thought which I will qualify below: Fuck that. 

So, before I started my own company, there was a time in my career in software development where I was responsible for setting technical direction, and generally speaking had to wrangle 40-50 developers on the straight and narrow. Some of them were very young. Some of them had egos coming out of college, and others were more humble and realized they don't know anything at all. The younger guys who eventually succeed are the ones who come in with mediocre skills at best, but want to participate in a way that they are learning, asking questions, and generally trying to become better. Then there were the guys who think that just because they can write some code, that they deserve a seat at the table, shouldn't have to listen to anyone senior to them, and I've heard things like "well I've never deployed a bug to production" - congrats you've just shown that you have nearly 0 experience. Your code is also garbage. You've contributed nothing to anything, and as such you don't know shit and you will now sit down, shut up, and listen. You have nothing useful to contribute yet, despite being told your whole life that your opinion matters. Don't do your best - do my best. 

These 2 types of young guys (gals aren't usually as ego-driven) getting into (in this case software) is analogous to young guys getting into cars. One group of guys are genuinely trying to learn, they try to wrench on their own cars with what tools they have, they are how (most of us I think were) at a younger age. My first car was a 93 Ford Probe GT that I blew the ringlands on and used it as an opportunity to learn how to swap my first engine at 17. Another group of guys are putting stupid stickers on Chevy Cruzes, Hyundai Accents, etc. and when they go to car meets/shows, they talk about a lot of things they know nothing about trying to "fit in" to fill the void of the insecurity of knowing deep down that they drive a complete shitbox that would've been just fine if they had left well enough alone. In short, they have nothing to contribute of any real value. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a Chevy Cruze if that's all you can afford. There is something wrong with not wrenching on anything, hob-cobbling your car with stickers, slapping a "short-ram intake" i.e. cone filter on the hot side bolted directly to your fucking throttle body, and then walking around like you have something to say. Wanna go to a car meet but don't have a nice car? Nobody is going to shun you - show up and ask about the builds of cars that are there that actually have work done to them. Learn something from people. Do better for yourself. Show up as a true enthusiast who just wants to talk to some like-minded people and hang out. 

In summary, I will not be inclusive of shitfucks. Shitfucks is not necessarily synonymous with people driving cheap cars. I didn't get to where I am in life by spending all my time pandering to people who don't contribute to the bottom line. I got to where I am by actively looking for people smarter than me and then figuring out how to learn from them - Not circle jerking on WCEC Facebook all day talking about how awesome my new LED underglow lights are going to be when I order them after 2 more paychecks come in, to the tune of 100 other knuckle-dragging mouth breathers without a shot in this world telling me how sick AF those lights are gonna be at Automotion. 

On 4/18/2017 at 5:03 PM, patsbimmer1 said:

You're the same dick neck that berated a group of people for owning Milwaukee tools.  Get off your fucking high horse.

High horse?  You're the one who is getting 'physically angry' at someone for having a particular car.  This is right up there with 'ragedrifting'

And I didn't berate anyone for owning anything, I simply said they seemed to, as a whole think what they had was best and if anyone had anything different they were literally the dumbest being on the earth, and their actions supported that.

You, on the other hand are getting 'physically angry' just for someones opinion, to me, that is a grey area of threatening physical violence.  Seems you are on a high horse.

So, if I am a dick neck, then you are easily a fucktard.