WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

AC blower problem

Bob

This is my first time posting. I have a 2000 740i that has several problems. It is actual my wife's car and she loves it. The A/C motor is growling and shuts off intermittently. I have preview the post as to how to remove and test the motor, but i would like to find out why the A/C system come off and on. Could it be that the fan motor is so bad that it is getting stuck and then restarting?

I would appreciate any help as taking the dash off is no easy job and I would like to do it right the first time. I replaced the evaporator coil a few years back and had to take out almost the entire dash to get to it. 

Welcome Bob!

A quick search makes it appear to be a common issue on the E38 with a new blower motor resistor being the fix

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/31138

Im sure you are aware of E38.org but if not it appears to be an immense vault of great info (where I found the link above)

http://www.e38.org/

Probably a worthless post on my part since it sounds like you know what you are dealing with, but just attempting to be helpful

I assume you are talking about the hvac blower?  Does it run and change speeds when you adjust it?  

I am not sure how similar it is but I have replaced a blower motor on an e32, it would run and could hear it changing speed as you adjust the speed selector but was always too slow and sounded bad.  I can look for some pictures if you would like.  I replaced it from under the hood by moving the coolant reservoir and the covers.  It is tight but better than removing the entire dash to access the hvac box.  

With the E38 the top of the dash must come out to get to the blower motor.
half the job of the heater core. Jeff did a write-up on here awhile ago.

Not a hard job just tedious and time consuming. Be patient and take your time.
a 2nd pair of hand will make the job much more painless.
Expect to break a few clips and plan for it.

replaced this with my son in about 3 hours.

RobZR