WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Milwaukee 335Xi Sedan

What'sLag?

Hello everyone.  Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.  Live in Milwaukee.  Just purchased my first BMW(08 335Xi sedansports pack).  Love the car so far although have had to do a good bit of maintenance right away.  I have done the clutch, plugs, coil packs, water pump & thermostat.  Still fighting some misfire issues that seem to come and go.  The injectors sound a bit loud so was planning on doing those next along with walnut blasting.  Was wondering if anyone could suggest where to get the blasting done.  Also was trying to figure out as I plan on doing some bolt ons & tune in the near future of stock injectors are sufficient of if you would recommend an upgrade to those as well.  Would love to know of any meets,etc. in the area or car clubs, etc, etc.  so look forward to hopefully joining the local community and appreciate any advice you all could provide.  Thanks in advance.

Richie

Welcome!

First: n54 injectors are loud.  All DI injectors are loud.

Second: there is no injector upgrade nor is it needed for bolt ons.

Third: What is you're target power level?  For fbo you can pretty reliably hit 420ish with the help of e85 and don't need to supplement fuel in the form of meth injection or port injection until the 450 and up range.

Fourth: Pictures!

Well thank for the warm welcome! I will get some pics up I gotta go back and find some before my wife "customized" my front bumper this winter.  But I will get some pics up soon I promise.  Patsbimmer1 I would definitely appreciate any advice you can give on the N54 platform.  I know the Xi isn't necessarily the best platform of the options but I like to drive the car all year round and I came from Subaru's before this so I thought I would take a leap into world of 335s.  Always loved BMW especially the M3s.  I have a very found affection for the V8 M3 even though that may seem odd coming from a new owner of a 335Xi with a twin turbo inline 6. The bottom line for me if it is fun, fast and has 4 wheels I am in.  Lol thanks again to veryine for the warm welcome!

It specifically to my target I will be daily driving the car so I guess I am looking to get to the 4-450ish range but not take away from the drivability I get my enjoyment from driving my cars so I don't want to go over board where it spends more time in the garage vs on the street.  To the injectors point I have been fighting misfires since I bought this car just about (2 months ago) sometimes the car runs smooth as glass and other times in runs really rough and will pop a code.  I have done plugs, and 2 coil packs(I know I should have done all 6-I actually just ordered the remaining 4 from BV auto).  So from what I was reading trying to research and learn about engine and common problems it seemed like step one was plugs, the coils, then injectors specifically cylinder 1&2.  Again I have a lot to lean but I am not afraid to get my hands dirty.  I have done the clutch, water pump, and thermostat too which I learned just about every job has a special tool when it comes to BMW.  But I love the car overall.  Can't wait to get it running right and then see what she can do.  Not sure if me having the Xi makes reliable HP lower or anything as far as the trans goes.

whatever this post is too long lol

i'm so jealous. I am actively looking for a well-maintained higher mileage N54 335xi. Every private party seller I have seen is asking 4-5k over book value for the car and despite the fact they keep slowly lowering their price, the cars are still sitting for months on end. 

You will enjoy the power with some basic mods. 

13 hours ago, What'sLag? said:

Well thank for the warm welcome! I will get some pics up I gotta go back and find some before my wife "customized" my front bumper this winter.  But I will get some pics up soon I promise.  Patsbimmer1 I would definitely appreciate any advice you can give on the N54 platform.  I know the Xi isn't necessarily the best platform of the options but I like to drive the car all year round and I came from Subaru's before this so I thought I would take a leap into world of 335s.  Always loved BMW especially the M3s.  I have a very found affection for the V8 M3 even though that may seem odd coming from a new owner of a 335Xi with a twin turbo inline 6. The bottom line for me if it is fun, fast and has 4 wheels I am in.  Lol thanks again to veryine for the warm welcome!

It specifically to my target I will be daily driving the car so I guess I am looking to get to the 4-450ish range but not take away from the drivability I get my enjoyment from driving my cars so I don't want to go over board where it spends more time in the garage vs on the street.  To the injectors point I have been fighting misfires since I bought this car just about (2 months ago) sometimes the car runs smooth as glass and other times in runs really rough and will pop a code.  I have done plugs, and 2 coil packs(I know I should have done all 6-I actually just ordered the remaining 4 from BV auto).  So from what I was reading trying to research and learn about engine and common problems it seemed like step one was plugs, the coils, then injectors specifically cylinder 1&2.  Again I have a lot to lean but I am not afraid to get my hands dirty.  I have done the clutch, water pump, and thermostat too which I learned just about every job has a special tool when it comes to BMW.  But I love the car overall.  Can't wait to get it running right and then see what she can do.  Not sure if me having the Xi makes reliable HP lower or anything as far as the trans goes.

whatever this post is too long lol

Another xi guy on the forum Chris Welter is not super active but he had a 6467, port injection, and lot's of other stuff was putting down big power numbers and didn't break the AWD.  Crazy launching in that thing, mega sleeper.  I am not sure but I think he figured out a way to keep the AWD engaged to a higher speed than factory programming to prevent wheelspin when it disengaged but I am not for sure on that.

Welcome! I put down 448whp/502wtq on stock turbos with some E85. Hope to see you around.

4 hours ago, i_love_cars said:

i'm so jealous. I am actively looking for a well-maintained higher mileage N54 335xi. Every private party seller I have seen is asking 4-5k over book value for the car and despite the fact they keep slowly lowering their price, the cars are still sitting for months on end. 

You will enjoy the power with some basic mods. 

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/6023890542.html

This is a fair price given salvage title and packages. Might be able to negotiate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-BMW-3-Series-M-Sport-/252790153889

Not sure what the reserve is. But it's also a fully-loaded 2010 M-Sport, 6-speed.

I've seen some cheap N54 cars, but if you're set on AWD, that might be the problem.