WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Traffic School: Who Has The Right of Way?

B C

Who Has The Right of Way?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who Who Has The Right of Way?

• Blue Car has the right of way
    • Orange Car has the right of way
    • Lake Sinissippi is 0.00038% Ethylyne Glycol

Question

Two cars approach an intersection from opposite directions.

Blue Car arrives at the stop sign first and signals to turn left.

Orange Car arrives at its stop sign 5 seconds (or some other time) after Blue Car comes to a stop.

Because traffic is heavy, both cars have to wait at their stop signs for a period of time before proceeding (say 15 seconds)

c679624ef1dcb5ab60103814c2e8db52.png

Who has the right of way? The car that arrived at the stop first but is making a left turn? or the car that is going straight.

You could argue that the Orange car is considered cross-traffic for the blue car and the orange car must yield to cross traffic before turning. You could also argue that the Orange car should wait its turn because the Blue car arrived at the stop first.

Who has the right of way*?

*Disclaimer: Never insist on the right of way, follow all state and local traffic laws, wear your seatbelt, never drink and drive, and if you vape, please dont tell anybody

5 answers to this question

i always thought the first to the intersection at stop signs has the right of way. so, blue car. 

if nothing else it seems courteous. i have this exact intersection as the first turn on my way to work everyday, and i am the blue car. i've learned to leave a big gap in traffic, because sometimes the orange car doesn't let me go first and as I pull out halfway they do as well, causing the maneuver to take a bit longer as things get settled.