WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

2003 s55 beater

Daggerty

• 5 months later...

Ecu, climate control module/unit, and driver side seat belt retractor module went bad. Haven't ran the car in a month and battery was to week so I put a jump pack on. I think that might be related but no idea.

So the good news, swapped the climate control unit, there were some dead pixels in the old one and the parts car one was perfect so that's a win. Seat belt retractor in do time, srs warning.

Bad news, ecu has to be replaced with a matching set as follows. Ezs (ignition switch module) with key, shifter module, and ecu. "Well you have a parts car so that should be all good" no, ezs is fried, not just literally.

My options are

find a matching set (very hard for s55 plus needs to be keyless go)

Buy a new one from the dealer $1000 and program it.

final option which I'm going to do. Send to the tuner who can virginize the parts Ecu and use the whatever ma whos on the old one to make it work. 

I figured I would share this, as for the base edition person this would be detrimental. $$$

Nice example of a $100k car that can be had for less than $15k that still has $100k car parts on it.  I don't know if this affects you but I know from past experience that these commonly had failing LCD screens in the gauge cluster.  Well, that screen was replaced for free by Mercedes under a recall but I forget what the time frame was on it.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:22 AM, snap said:

Well that worked but didn't fix the issue. Thanks for searching what I failed to imagine.

So the reason for doing this. Throttle wouldn't actuate, plugged in parts car ecu and it would move with car in on position but wouldn't start. Swapped eproms and it started but won't actuate throttle. Swapped old proms back and actuates.

Now the question;   The proms have malfunctions restricting throttle actuation? That seems like the obvious answer. Just would like to hear some input, because most people doing this are from eukaslavia and don't give details or make sense. Sinking in uncharted waters here 

If you have an OBD2 scantool phone app like “Torque” you could observe the TPS voltage and throttle input% to help rule out the pedal or throttle body.

This is a thread with a similar issue on a W163 and it turned out being a MAF sensor issue (post #23)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1342675-no-throttle-response.html#/topics/1342675?page=3

I have the Mercedes dealer tool Star diagnostic. It's not the throttle body, and the pedal is fine. The voltages for the two potentiometers in the TB are not at the right value coming from the ecu, with the correct proms for the car. When I put the parts car proms back in I get the correct voltage but obviously no start. 

I guess it's obvious, just trying to understand why the throttle body would be tied into the immobilizer when it already doesn't allow it to crank if there is an issue.