WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Helmets: What the snell do I need

m42b32

Question

Hey Guys,

I am planning on participating in the FVSCC ice rally-x on the 22nd (Don't worry, I'll make sure my radiator cap is on tight) and need a DOT approved helmet to participate, so I'm looking to see what you recommend or use. I'm also planning to do some auto-x this summer and once the e30 is back on the road I am hoping to do a track day or two, so I'd like something that is legal for those events as well. It looks like if I get something that is SA2015 I should be good for just about anything? I am also thinking an open face helmet would be best since there really isn't a reason to get a visor inside a car.

Another note is that I am just over 6'3" and have very minimal headroom in the e36. I can adjust my seating position to gain about 1.5" between my head and the headliner, but any helmets that are known to be thinner on top would be a bonus. 

Anyone have any recommendations?? I'm on a fairly tight budget so I can't get too fancy... though a better helmet costs less than medical bills, so if something is worth the extra cost for safety reasons I'd go that route. 

683c102ffe53573799d7af3fe174a623.jpg

Helmets are like race seats, better to try them on for fit before buying if you can. Try local race shops or friends. Helmet designs will fit differently and will size differently depending on your head shape (round, oval, long). Price and design options range from low-medium end (e.g., Pyrotect, Racequip, G-Force, HJC, Impact Racing, Simpson, Bell, etc) to mid-upper end (e.g., Arai, Stilo), and can depend on weight, features etc. You'll get different opinions on open versus closed face, with some folks pushing for open especially if you still have airbags in your car. I started out in autox with an open faced but have always used a closed face helmet for track days and racing. You'd be surprised what kinds of crap can kick into your car/face in a track event (especially bits of tire rubber), plus it helps keep you warm/dry on cold and rainy days if you run with the visor down.     

Will you be using it to ride motorcycle at all?

Racequip sells a sub $200 helmet if you're doing car stuff only.

Otherwise most motorcycle stuff is both snell2010/15 and DOT approved

Every autox I've done they only care about the snell being 2005 or newer. Most stuff you buy now will be 2015 or newer. Just because it has a DOT sticker does not mean it will have a snell rating IIRC.

Check motorcycle superstore. They usually have some close outs on bell/icon/agp/shoei stuff that *should* have both approvals. Usually the snell sticker is under the padding though. Can always call and ask.

FWIW the last autox I was at they didn't even check helmets........it was odd

1 minute ago, KaiserRolls said:

Will you be using it to ride motorcycle at all?

Racequip sells a sub $200 helmet if you're doing car stuff only.

Otherwise most motorcycle stuff is both snell2010/15 and DOT approved

Every autox I've done they only care about the snell being 2005 or newer. Most stuff you buy now will be 2015 or newer. Just because it has a DOT sticker does not mean it will have a snell rating IIRC.

Check motorcycle superstore. They usually have some close outs on bell/icon/agp/shoei stuff that *should* have both approvals. Usually the snell sticker is under the padding though. Can always call and ask.

FWIW the last autox I was at they didn't even check helmets........it was odd

No plans for a motorcycle so that's why I am more looking for an open face helmet. I'll look into the Racequip and check out that store, Thanks for the info!

Never really considered the danger potential of an open face, I was thinking the improved visibility would be nice but since the e30 doesn't have airbags I should probably go closed face. 

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

Thanks for the link! That looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I might swing by there on Saturday morning and try some on, definitely want to see how I they fit before buying. 

good information here.  Joe - if you want to join me, iI'm going to Pegasus on Saturday the 21st to try some on, as I've never wore a helmet so sizing is a big ? mark. I will have to buy one on the spot for the 22nd event, but i'd rather get a properly fitting one even if the selection isn't as great as online.  from the research I've found, people do like the open face for visibility and coolness (temperature) but they won't protect your face in the event of an accident. considering I have no airbags in either car, i'd like to keep my face bones in order if it comes to that, so i was leaning towards closed face. plus I can hide my shame face after some poor driving.

Pegasus is a candy store of fun things to spend money on. There's also Behling Racing Equipment in Butler, though their web site hasn't been updated since 2012. Their founder passed in October 2012 so not sure if they're still running.

One thing Pegasus will ask is if you plan to be wearing a balaclava (nomex fire resistant head sock) under the helmet. Changes the fit. Given your plans for just ice events, autox, and track days, not really necessary. Part of the mandatory safety gear for track racing. Sweating into a head sock you can wash can also be better than funking up your helmet.

The controversy over the closed face and airbag thing is that with stock seat belts the belts' stitching is designed to progressively give way in an accident and that is designed to work with the airbag. You meet in the middle. Supposed problem is your head coming forward and the bag hits the closed face chin protector and snaps your head back injuring your spine/neck instead of you burying your face in the bag.  Patsbimmer has it right through, short of a Darth Vader helmet the airbag shrapnel will probably kill you anyway either way. Better to have a closed helmet to help keep the OPR ("other people's rubber") out of your teeth.

also, I forgot to say, bravo on the thread title, mr. m42b32

4 hours ago, Boris3 said:

The controversy over the closed face and airbag thing is that with stock seat belts the belts' stitching is designed to progressively give way in an accident and that is designed to work with the airbag. You meet in the middle. Supposed problem is your head coming forward and the bag hits the closed face chin protector and snaps your head back injuring your spine/neck instead of you burying your face in the bag.  Patsbimmer has it right through, short of a Darth Vader helmet the airbag shrapnel will probably kill you anyway either way. Better to have a closed helmet to help keep the OPR ("other people's rubber") out of your teeth.

I read about this 'controversy', it seems like a theory someone came up with that is just plausible enough in peoples minds that they have believed it.  the stories talking about governing race bodies changing the rules to compensate for the airbags, but this was years ago and nothing has been changed. *shrug*

are seat belts in BMWs with airbags different from those in cars without airbags? i've never heard of such a thing in e30s or e34s.

Good point. Just checked Real OEM and parts numbers for the front seat belts are the same for the 1986-91 e30s (pre-airbag and airbag models). Same part number for the 12/81 - 5/91.

I remember this argument from my Miata days and rechecked the Miata forums. There were driver/passenger belt differences in the NA (89-97) US models that only came with driver's airbags. Driver's side in the US had EA belts.  "An energy absorbing (EA) sew pattern is a loop of web, held together with stitches. The stitches break more or less sequentially, allowing a loop of web to lengthen while absorbing some energy. The EA loop in the Miata was almost certainly tuned to work with the bags to optimize injury values in an NCAP crash or for FMVSS 208 crash tests."

As for racing, you're wearing 5-6-7 point harness and these days a mandated HANs. Still impressive to see in slow motion how much the belts will stretch in a frontal hit. Steering wheel regulations vary. NASA's general CCR only requires removing the steering wheel lock, but the different NASA race series have explicit rules on airbags. For example, in SPEC e30 rules the airbag must be disconnected or defused during on track sessions, and can be removed. I pulled mine in my build and swapped out the steering wheel. Figured exploding things were the last thing I needed in my car.

Did a quick check and SCCA's 2017 GCR also has the regs on steering wheel locks, and only mentions airbags in the rules for SPEC e46 which requires airbag removal, as does American Sedan. ChumpCar's 2017 GCR requires removal and disarming of all airbags.   

23 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

good information here.  Joe - if you want to join me, iI'm going to Pegasus on Saturday the 21st to try some on, as I've never wore a helmet so sizing is a big ? mark. I will have to buy one on the spot for the 22nd event, but i'd rather get a properly fitting one even if the selection isn't as great as online.  from the research I've found, people do like the open face for visibility and coolness (temperature) but they won't protect your face in the event of an accident. considering I have no airbags in either car, i'd like to keep my face bones in order if it comes to that, so i was leaning towards closed face. plus I can hide my shame face after some poor driving.

That would work for me! Let me know what timing you're thinking when the day gets closer. I don't think I have anything going on that day so whatever works is good.

Another item to note...  As a guy who was in one horrific crash that turned into two crashes (was driving) and one small crash on a track (wasn't driving).  Spend the 30-40 bucks and get a neck donut if you aren't going full HANS.  They help support the weight of the helmet so your neck doesn't take as much of the strain and also it helps to straighten your neck.  Again, remember that adding a helmet also adds weight to your head when moving upon impact.  Cheap insurance;)

Since we already had the airbag and helmet controversy in this thread might as well add the neck collar and helmet controversy [emoji41]

Short version: good for fatigue and karting but not a track day safety device.

If you've got a roll bar / cage and a fixed-back race seat spend the money for a HANs or other H&N restraint. After watching footage of my head when I smacked a wall at RA I also added a halo containment seat.

All that said, I've got an old Simpson foam collar gathering dust. Neck support or useful donut to sit on if your other end has issues...

12 hours ago, Boris3 said:

Since we already had the airbag and helmet controversy in this thread might as well add the neck collar and helmet controversy emoji41.png

Short version: good for fatigue and karting but not a track day safety device.

If you've got a roll bar / cage and a fixed-back race seat spend the money for a HANs or other H&N restraint. After watching footage of my head when I smacked a wall at RA I also added a halo containment seat.

All that said, I've got an old Simpson foam collar gathering dust. Neck support or useful donut to sit on if your other end has issues...

lots of drama in the racing safety equipment world!

so if someone has their head up their ass, the donut will protect both at the same time?

Just to add on to why the HANS is mandatory as well as why the collar does not work. As Rich said, the HANS only comes into play with harnesses. This is the first I have heard about the full face helmet and airbag argument but as I was told when buying a helmet -- "buy the full face helmet because you like your face"

I hope this link works. 

https://www.facebook.com/racecareng/videos/10152479509154707/?pnref=story