WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Ice Rally this season

straight6pwr

mike, it was nice to meet you as well. sorry to hear about the kid issue, bummer!

so much fun to be had out there. also a little learning about driving style/weight shifting on the ice.

results of the event were posted. nice time on the first heat mike, you hauled ass with that car full of people.

http://www.fvscc.com/results/2017_Winter/2017IceXCombinedEvent1.htm

and some of the guys out there with cameras posted pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hubertb235/sets/72157676366411824/with/31924877063/

https://flic.kr/s/aHskTYe696

here are some of our cars taken from those links:

pogan 2 5 17 (96)DSC_7086

DSC_7091

and i took some photos myself

check-in line

oXpbmBD.jpg

'paddock' with the starting line in the background

o4Iy3wY.jpg

das german ice sleds

2LzGnjX.jpg

Dominic ready to roll in the sl55

WaFOor2.jpg

waiting at the starting line. quiet an array of cars.from full race prep evos to jeep compass (which is only FWD, wtf)

oDtN30q.jpg

clouds eventually lifted and it was a beautiful day
5hCgeWa.jpg

sunrise on the way there, sunset on the way home, both spectacular
Hgy1Lyo.jpg

video is currently uploading but should be live soon.

disclaimer: this was only my 2nd ever lap on ice. i certainly looked alot more like ken block by lap 8, drifting all the corners with flair and jumping over construction site obstacles.

also, sorry for the shaking, over exposed video. my suction cup mount has not arrived yet and i forgot to set the metering on the go pro. and i did not manage my battery very well so i didnt get any of the good runs before it died. basically, an overall cinematic fail.

3 hours ago, m42b32 said:

I've got my fingers crossed that the weekend of the 25/26th has good weather and a rally scheduled, its looking like my only chance to make one this season!

probably won't be ice left by then, but its possible. next week it's forecasted to hit almost 50 for a number of days and that will most likely end the season in most places.

today was fun! the ice was really tricky - super slippery due to the temps/sun and a much more low-speed layout.

pictures:

yTWVXN2.jpg

one other BMW there, a e36 325i with studded tires and a giant wing. it looked really fast on the track, made me want studs too.

KtAcha9.jpg

qpT1Aja.jpg

one guy brought some sort of dirt track truck

UVyFF8A.jpg

and for mitch - a lifted miata
z5HrwST.jpg

and here was the new camera rig, it was super solid. the wire is a tether, but i don't think it really needed it. i think i will get a long external mic and run it out the back window near the exhaust so the engine noises can be heard over the wind next time.
3UiigaE.jpg

13 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

probably won't be ice left by then, but its possible. next week it's forecasted to hit almost 50 for a number of days and that will most likely end the season in most places.

Yeah I have my concerns, the forecasts are looking like we are at the end of the winter, I'd be surprised if we get any more snow at this point. Next winter I will be keeping my Sundays clear... 

13 hours ago, wasnt m3 said:

Just wanted to let you know that the roundel belongs on the front of your hood haha. Looks like a fun time.

almost forgot - that is Klaus, the traveling BMW logo. He's from the r3v group and I got him this week, which was great timing for the ice racing, so he got some ride-alongs

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=391393

1 hour ago, patsbimmer1 said:

@straight6pwr what about running the mic to the intake... induction noise>exhaust noise

not a bad idea