WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Pulled the trigger on electric impacts

REKIII

10 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

From what standpoint does this impress you? As a feat of strength, or as a toolbox?

Uhmmm, that's a deep question.  Lot's of things about it impress me.  The toolboxes holding the weight, especially the casters is impressive.  The fact they got a dump truck up on there is impressive.

Am I missing something?  Am I not to be impressed?  Is a dump truck sitting on toolboxes a common thing?

5 hours ago, REKIII said:

Uhmmm, that's a deep question.  Lot's of things about it impress me.  The toolboxes holding the weight, especially the casters is impressive.  The fact they got a dump truck up on there is impressive.

Am I missing something?  Am I not to be impressed?  Is a dump truck sitting on toolboxes a common thing?

Looks like an acceptable weight for a 3 axle dump truck that is empty is 24,000 lbs. We see that it is resting on 6 toolboxes with 4 casters per. 
24,000 / (6x4) = 1000 lb / caster
This isn't any crazy load for a commercially available caster, and even if you jump up to a 15 ton truck you're only looking at 1250 lb per caster. 

When are you ever putting that much weight on the top of the toolbox? Why design it for something that it will likely never do?

To me that ad says nothing about the usability of that box, just that you can put a lot of weight on top of it. 

As stated before, I like picking brains. 

2 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

When are you ever putting that much weight on the top of the toolbox? Why design it for something that it will likely never do?

lol exactly.

like if they took a dry-docked submarine and hit the side with a flamethrower and said 'our submarines are flame proof'

like if they took a glitter pen to outerspace and said 'our glitter pens can write in a vacuum'

like if they punched a lion in the face and said 'lions don't mind being punched in the face'

no one is doing any of those things.

12 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

You can find them at Fastenal.  We sell them to our technicians at work through a special order program we set up at a discounted price but not to the public.

I will have to check them out.  Thanks!

12 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

My favorite part of this whole conversation is you continue to point out the douche bag owners of these other products and their stupid whiny groups but you own a Raptor and a BMW... both groups considered to be douchey and whiny.  

You are 100% correct there, but my need to compensate for an extremely tiny penis, out weighs my need to not be associated with the douche bags in those groups.  Milwaukee tools, do nothing for my penis size.

12 hours ago, Snap said:

He may have a very strong awareness of the douche threshold and knows how to manage the douchiness in his life to keep it from getting out of control

Correct, life is about balance.

8 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Looks like an acceptable weight for a 3 axle dump truck that is empty is 24,000 lbs. We see that it is resting on 6 toolboxes with 4 casters per. 
24,000 / (6x4) = 1000 lb / caster
This isn't any crazy load for a commercially available caster, and even if you jump up to a 15 ton truck you're only looking at 1250 lb per caster. 

To me that ad says nothing about the usability of that box, just that you can put a lot of weight on top of it. 

As stated before, I like picking brains. 

If a toolbox was rated to the exact weight of the tools that it holds and even an ounce more would cause it to crush, I wouldn't be very likely to buy that tool box.  Would you rather see an ad where a mason stacks 30 cinder blocks onto the toolbox then rolls it over to the wall he was building?

2 hours ago, REKIII said:

If a toolbox was rated to the exact weight of the tools that it holds and even an ounce more would cause it to crush, I wouldn't be very likely to buy that tool box.  Would you rather see an ad where a mason stacks 30 cinder blocks onto the toolbox then rolls it over to the wall he was building?

I have no desire to see any amount of weight greater than 100lbs set on top of a toolbox. I will never do that, and it is likely that most other people wont either. 

What I would enjoy seeing is all of those bricks put into the drawers, and being shown that the drawers still move well and aren't deflecting under the load. That is a real world scenario. 

For everything I've done to my car, I've never sat back and thought that I needed a $300 and up impact. My cheapo craftsman has done everything I've asked of it and then some. Plus if it breaks I'll just go exchange it at a physical store location.

Sure, 700ftlbs of nut busting torque would be just peachy to have. But I don't regularly change tires on the dump truck I don't have

38 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I have no desire to see any amount of weight greater than 100lbs set on top of a toolbox. I will never do that, and it is likely that most other people wont either. 

What I would enjoy seeing is all of those bricks put into the drawers, and being shown that the drawers still move well and aren't deflecting under the load. That is a real world scenario. 

I guess that's probably why they make different toolboxes then.  People don't always use them the same way.  Some people put dump trucks on them, others set shop towels on them.

4 minutes ago, KaiserRolls said:

For everything I've done to my car, I've never sat back and thought that I needed a $300 and up impact. My cheapo craftsman has done everything I've asked of it and then some. Plus if it breaks I'll just go exchange it at a physical store location.

Sure, 700ftlbs of nut busting torque would be just peachy to have. But I don't regularly change tires on the dump truck I don't have

Sometimes it's needs vs wants.  I've bought enough budget tools in my life, and proceeded to destroy them, that, if the opportunity arises, I will spend a bit more money on nicer things.  I don't strive for the best, but maybe a few notches better than my current need to hopefully cover future unanticipated needs.

I completely understand your point about needs vs wants, I mean we're all members on a BMW forum talking about how we want the best parts for our car, so why shouldn't that same thought be applied to the tools we use to work on them?

And yes nothing pisses me off more than breaking a tool when using it for its intended purpose.