WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Personal Plate Ideas

Earl

hobbyist and collectors plates are basically the same with one major difference.

collectors (blue plate) = the car is mostly unmodified, aesthetically looking like a factory car. lowering, wheels, debadging, etc are allowed, but no body modification beyond factory options.

hobbyist (green plate) = the sky is the limit for modification, including full custom cars and kit cars.

both must be 20 years old, both you must have another registered car, both you cannot drive in January, both I believe its a one time registration fee (no annual renewal fees)

I'm not that kind of guy to run a euro plate lol. Just not my cup of tea 

I don't plan on any major body modifications. All bumpers I run are slightly modified OEM and I'm never doing huge flares or anything of the like. That's why I would opt for Collectors plates. Plus I really hate the look of Hobbyist plates lol

You've modified the suspension way beyond oem spec, your tire and wheel combination is outside of oem spec, have you deleted the cat?  Any exhaust mods that increase the volume output from the tailpipe?  Any emissions equipment removed from the engine for the sake of cleanliness?  With hobbyist plates you are exempt from penalty for those modifications.  

My moms boyfriend has hobbyist on his euro spec 928 with a full 3" straight pipe exhaust and he told me he has been pulled over once.  He pointed out the hobbyist plate and the officer bickered with him but he was on his way.

Johnny has had a collectors plate on his e30 touring with no gripes. From what I have been told and have seen, you're allowed suspension and wheels. I doubt they would question the exhaust as I will be keeping it very very quiet. Anything else I've modified is unseen and I doubt they'll pull me over on suspicion of a shaved bay...

Right now I am still leaning towards a personal plate and hobbyist plates are absolutely out of the question because I'm not about to stick a green dated looking plate on

Edit: wheel/tire specifications and suspension do not matter according to the DMV's elaborate chart

http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/collector-plates.aspx

They don't care what you do as long as you do not alter the body of the vehicle. I was surprised to see that engine swaps are okay

I registered my e30 as a collector because I have no intentions of running flares or body modifications beyond OEM options. I read through the rules and I didn't see anything restricting engine/exhaust modifications so hopefully that won't be a problem for me...  

2 hours ago, Earl said:

What's the least characters you can have on a plate? 

I recall seeing a mercedes with the plate "1" so I'd imagine that is the minimum haha