WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

DeLorean to return

straight6pwr

This may already be something that people know, but i just found out so i thought I'd share.

DMC will be bringing back the DeLorean for limited production!

http://www.motortrend.com/news/pre-orders-now-open-2017-delorean-dmc-12/

http://www.motortrend.com/news/great-scott-delorean-motor-company-to-build-dmc-12-replicas-by-2017/

http://www.delorean.com/pre-order-form.php

No engine has been picked yet, but......LS swap?!?!

14 hours ago, YoungCR said:

I like how motortrend has it titled as a replica when it's a continuation car. DMC of Texas has been restoring and rebuilding them for years. It was started by a guy who bought up all the original factory stock. 

yeah, replica just has the connotation of lesser quality and hand-made fit and finish. reproduction would be more marketing friendly.

21 hours ago, Snap said:

For some strange reason I feel it should receive the Pentastar V6

It should also do something neat at 88mph

why the Pentastar? because its crap like the original renault motor?

i'm hoping they use a bit of history and do a twin turbo v6. Toyota? Audi? I hope its not French or GM.

From wikipedia:

Legend twin turbo cars

It was determined the DeLorean needed additional power when automotive magazine road tests showed 0-60 mph times for the DMC-12 between 9.5-10.5 seconds, while its rivals were in the 7.5-8.5 second range. There had been interest in turbocharging the DeLorean early on but the DMC engineering staff was busy with other projects, so DeLorean decided to go outside to develop a turbocharged version of the DeLorean.

Having had previous success with turbocharging Fiat Spiders, DeLorean entered into a contract with Legend Industries, based in Hauppauge, New York. DMC wanted to increase power without sacrificing fuel economy. DMC wanted a wide power band and did not want a surge of power similar to the Porsche 930 Turbo. Legend used twin IHI RHB52 turbos along with twin intercoolers. The results were an engine capable of accelerating smoothly in fifth gear from 1,500 rpm to full turbo boost at 2,500 rpm reaching 150 mph at 6,500rpm.[53]

In addition, Legend Industries developed a single turbocharged setup that was never finished. The company converted a total of four DeLoreans and two Renault Alpines; which were the first development cars.[54]VIN 530 was written in numerous press articles as the fastest production car of its era.[citation needed]

In a test run of VIN 530 at Bridgehampton Raceway in 1981, the Twin Turbo DeLorean was quicker than a Ferrari 308 and a Porsche 928. It has been a misconception for many years VIN 502 was at Bridgehampton and used in testing however evidence from pictures, along with information via a Legend employee published via PJ Grady proves 530 was used with the aspirated VIN 558. By the time of Bridgehampton, Legend had perfected modular boosting which the earlier prototypes did not have installed apart from one of the Alpine mules and VIN 530. This has also been proven by a Legend Engineer who actually worked on the cars.[citation needed]

VIN 530 tested 0-60 in 5.8 seconds and the quarter mile in 14.7 seconds. DeLorean was so impressed with the engine, he committed to ordering 5,000 engines from Legend Industries. DeLorean planned to offer a turbocharged engine as a $7,500 option in 1984 (presumably to compete with the newly redesigned 1984 Corvette). Before any of the 5,000 cars could be put into production, DMC had declared bankruptcy which drove Legend Industries as well as other suppliers into bankruptcy.[55]