WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1989 e34 525i

Midnight

i've been driving lowered e30s and e34s in Wisconsin winters for 14 years. snow tires and some extra weight in the trunk and you're golden.  you aren't going to be able to drive in 8" of fresh snow or easily parallel park in unplowed milwaukee streets, but it has gotten me to and from work just fine.

i've been driving lowered e30s and e34s in Wisconsin winters for 14 years. snow tires and some extra weight in the trunk and you're golden.  you aren't going to be able to drive in 8" of fresh snow or easily parallel park in unplowed milwaukee streets, but it has gotten me to and from work just fine.

This +1, snow tires and weight make the car completely different

I drove my (at the time) gutted and m50 swapped e30 in winter on neo nittogens w/o abs (280 treadwear "all seasons") it was tons of fun but I wouldn't recommend it, just gotta take your time

I drive my e36 M3 year round as my daily, and have also used my previous e36 in the winters as well. The 318is was stock height with an open diff and with some blizzaks it had no problem in up to 4 or 5 inches of snow on the roads, I never ended up getting stuck and I had it both here and in PA winters. My e36 m3 is lowered about 1.5" and has a limited slip diff which definitely makes a difference in traction (and sideways fun), and with some General Altimax Arctic snow tires (highly recommended for an inexpensive snow tire) I had no problems this past winter, only got it stuck once and it was in a 1 foot snow drift across the road. Even then, I was able to rock it out without getting out of the car. You just need to be smart about where you go

TL:DR get some good snow tires and don't be dumb and you'll be totally fine.