WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ILC's E92 M3

i_love_cars

I know, I'm light on the updates because I don't have an actual "build" car like everyone else, but every now and again I do a thing. Today is one of those days. 

Yes I know it's overkill especially at Road America which isn't too terribly hard on brakes, and money I didn't *need* to spend, and my original plan was to just get some PFC race pads, SS lines, and good fluid for the track which is plenty adequate, but I was able to pick up this PFC ZR-54 enduro front BBK for $3k today. I just couldn't say no at that price, it's almost criminal to let that deal disappear. The price also included 1 each brand new sets of 07 and 01 compound race pads ($500 each), so about $1000 in brake pads. All components and rotors are nearly brand new, all original boxes, etc. - basically it was a test kit for a shop car at Fall Line Motorsports as indicated by the original PFC packing slip/invoice. 

Bimmerworld is now selling a PFC street pad that fits this bbk for $195/set which isn't bad, so I'm going to order those tomorrow and hopefully get this thing installed in the next week or so, and then swap the pads for RA in July

The race pads are like frickin hamburgers they're so huge. From what I know they wear quickly at the track though so I guess it's not too surprising. 

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

The car should've came from the factory with fixed calipers.

A pure performance car that is going to be tracked shouldn't come with single piston fixed calipers just because they have a good stopping distance after one run. 

Im sure with the right pads and brake fluid they would do alright but seriously if your selling a car for 90k put some decent calipers on. If Ford can put fixed brembos on a 40k focus, I think Bmw can sacrifice a little money for the upgrade.

2 hours ago, Daggerty said:

Im sure with the right pads and brake fluid they would do alright but seriously if your selling a car for 90k put some decent calipers on. If Ford can put fixed brembos on a 40k focus, I think Bmw can sacrifice a little money for the upgrade.

They gotta make it comfy for 90% of the first owners that buy it as a status symbol and not a track car. Logically you'd want a 328/335i for that but we all know it's not how it really works haha.

One of the sales guys asked me about upgrades for his e92 back in 2012. Really all there was were AFE intakes and he simply asked why BMW just didn't put the higher performance intake on from the factory. Not everybody wants to hear the glorious induction noise while taking business calls. #firstworldprobs

8 hours ago, Daggerty said:

A pure performance car that is going to be tracked shouldn't come with single piston fixed calipers just because they have a good stopping distance after one run. 

I agree.  My Volvo has 4 piston Brembos and 330mm rotors at all 4 corners from the factory, and the R is never really meant to be a track car anyway.  They are perfectly comfortable on the street.  Downside is 400$ each to replace them.

IMAG0239_zpshmijr9w1.jpg

1 minute ago, jc43089 said:

I agree.  My Volvo has 4 piston Brembos and 330mm rotors at all 4 corners from the factory, and the R is never really meant to be a track car anyway.  They are perfectly comfortable on the street.  Downside is 400$ each to replace them.

That's why you rebuild them instead=) 

I agree that BMW should offer better caliper design, to an extent. For new drivers who aren't gonna go that fast or push that hard, the car will be safe on track. For someone like me, it'll cook the brakes in 2-3 laps though. If you want to roll an M3 off the showroom floor and take it to the track, then it doesn't matter what kind of caliper they give you - street pads are going to fall apart and overheat quickly at the track. There's no getting around it. So yes, a good race pad and fluid is honestly all you need in the e92 to do well at the track with braking (the e46 was the real weak link). Which is why I said buying this BBK is kindof overkill, but at the price I just couldn't say no. 
Bottom line is, you're gonna need a good race pad no matter what if you want to go through a day of braking at the track without issues. 

Also, "Brembos" don't really mean much. The 135i comes with 6-pot brembos in front and they come with sacrifices like shitty piston material that has literally been known to start on fire and melt during hard braking at the track. You need to drop another $400 to upgrade the pistons. They also didn't do that great at the track. Hell even my Acura TL-S came with 4-pot brembos in front standard and they were just not that great. You are still getting generic, mass-produced parts that are only slightly better than what a regular caliper would be. 

Also, remember that piston counts don't mean anything. These PFCs I bought have 4 pot and they will stop better than any 6-piston caliper you can buy for this car. There is math and science behind why that is.

But over kill is just saying your tires have room for improvement.

For sure I've now got more braking than my tires can make use of. In order to fully extract what this bbk is capable of, I need to run r-comps at the track, which will be next year. I jumped right into the E30 with slicks and it was very easy to manage because of how light the car was. I am going to run the M3 on street tires for a few events to learn the car a bit - r-comps just carry so much more speed through corners and with how heavy this car is, I want to get a feel for the weight transfer. 

1 hour ago, i_love_cars said:

I agree that BMW should offer better caliper design, to an extent. For new drivers who aren't gonna go that fast or push that hard, the car will be safe on track. For someone like me, it'll cook the brakes in 2-3 laps though. If you want to roll an M3 off the showroom floor and take it to the track, then it doesn't matter what kind of caliper they give you - street pads are going to fall apart and overheat quickly at the track. There's no getting around it. So yes, a good race pad and fluid is honestly all you need in the e92 to do well at the track with braking (the e46 was the real weak link). Which is why I said buying this BBK is kindof overkill, but at the price I just couldn't say no. 
Bottom line is, you're gonna need a good race pad no matter what if you want to go through a day of braking at the track without issues. 

Also, "Brembos" don't really mean much. The 135i comes with 6-pot brembos in front and they come with sacrifices like shitty piston material that has literally been known to start on fire and melt during hard braking at the track. You need to drop another $400 to upgrade the pistons. They also didn't do that great at the track. Hell even my Acura TL-S came with 4-pot brembos in front standard and they were just not that great. You are still getting generic, mass-produced parts that are only slightly better than what a regular caliper would be. 

Also, remember that piston counts don't mean anything. These PFCs I bought have 4 pot and they will stop better than any 6-piston caliper you can buy for this car. There is math and science behind why that is.

For sure I've now got more braking than my tires can make use of. In order to fully extract what this bbk is capable of, I need to run r-comps at the track, which will be next year. I jumped right into the E30 with slicks and it was very easy to manage because of how light the car was. I am going to run the M3 on street tires for a few events to learn the car a bit - r-comps just carry so much more speed through corners and with how heavy this car is, I want to get a feel for the weight transfer. 

Nailed it. Even though the 135i has 6 pot calipers, they're a big downgrade from the single piston 335i brakes in stopping power. I think a common misconception is more pistons are always better.

10 hours ago, Daggerty said:

Any street car sucks on track without track pads and fluid (excluding hyper cars, etc.). The F80 4 piston brakes are terrible on track as well. Also, the E9x M3 started at ≈$58k IIRC, not $90k. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Things are happening. Xpipe arrived today and I have sourced the below ESS 625 kit. Fortuitous timing given the color-matching. The seller will be shipping it out to me either next week or the week after. Once the salt clears and the car is out on the road, I will also be getting the rod bearings replaced.

Messages Image(1857300026).png

As it turns out, I've already got a head start on the install because I saw a bunch of fucking coolant under the M3 a couple days ago. Car hasn't been touched since Nov. 4th. I couldn't find anything wet in the front of the car. Pulled the intake manifold and found a bunch of standing coolant on top of the block below the thermostat housing where there are some coolant elbows that go to the heads. Seems to be the likely culprit that one of those seals failed somehow. I'm borrowing a coolant pressurizer kit from a friend to verify.