WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

On 12/14/2016 at 8:02 AM, GunMetalGrey said:

IMG_20161212_164823210_HDR

IMG_20161212_163355769_HDR

IMG_20161212_165700699_HDR

First appearance of those center caps lol. It's been awhile! Never had such a clear shot of them though! 

Hoping to hear about the fuel pump soon. It sucks having no idea if I'll be able to get one. I can't find any, it's not like I've found some and they are just too expensive, I simply can't find one. 

3 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Awesome progress. I like everything about this so much. 

Ben Pls, when are you going to install the rear flares? I want to see that happen!

Also it looks so much better without the turn signals. Maybe just ad some LED bulbs somewhere instead of the large squares?

Rear flares will likely happen after I redo the front ones lol. I found some that should work better up front.

Those turn signals do suck! There are some new ones sitting in my amazon cart. 
Though I do have some ideas for them! 

I want to see this thing with 15X10's and some 35x12-15's!

7 minutes ago, snap said:

oh me oh my, the negative camber and subsequent reduced toe in the rear scares me O__O

It looks like positive camber in the rear to me. How far can you go till you need custom control arms....

1 hour ago, snap said:

Only Ben can attest of its actual driving characteristics but in my brain gives me scary thoughts.

After the e46 control arms I have a pretty impressive amount of negative camber up front, and after the modification to the rear there is a pretty little amount of camber (nearing negative numbers...)

It's a hands on driving experience for sure, and anything over 55 feels..... concerning. 
I never have gotten the car aligned properly yet though, so that may help the steering feel at minimum.

23 hours ago, snap said:

oh me oh my, the negative camber and subsequent reduced toe in the rear scares me O__O

Toe actually increases under droop (i know because I've measured it) so you really messed up here.

-10 internets, and please don't ban me.

4 hours ago, Jdesign said:

But I think @snap is referring to when its actually planted on the ground.

Not sure what you mean, but here's the data from the e21 (if photodumpster works...):

curves_zpsx3ndrqvf.png

Assuming that the e30 is similar, and that the lowest toe number is roughly ride-height, toe will increase as the vehicle is lifted.

These aren't the results I was expecting before I measured it. I had assumed the toe went negative under droop...

^^THIS^^

Seriously dubyah teeaaa  EEEEFFFFF.  I guess if they are rare and hard to come by that makes sense for such a high value.

At this point I would start to question other means of diesel injection if you cant find a pump. Thats something I know very little about. Isnt the pump timed with the motor?

If it makes you guys feel any better, a high pressure fuel pump for the N54 isn't cheap either. And they do go bad.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/high-pressure-fuel-pump-replacement-kit/13517616446rkt/

N54 injectors commonly go bad, and they aren't cheap either!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/fuel-injector-replacement-kit/13538616079kt/

Something that has eased my mind is the simplicity of the system, and the equivalent to what is being replacing. 
Say I end up spending $1300 on the injectors and pump.

That is like replacing the following things on a gas m20: Fuel pump (high and low pressure if applicable), fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, ignition coil, plug wires, spark plugs, cap and rotor, crank sensor (kinda), idle control valve, ECU, and all associated hoses. 

The pump and injectors are the only things that run this engine, and given how low the production numbers are it's hard to be mad at the cost.
I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought the engine, and unfortunately I have had to dive in further than desired, but that's how anything seems to go. 

At the end of the day I'm excited about it, how many people do you know that have an M21 E30? 
It's worth the cost for the cool factor. 

On 3/14/2018 at 8:48 PM, GunMetalGrey said:

This pump right here is the only one on the internet that I can find right now that would work. 
I contacted him to see if he would be willing to flex on price or verify condition.