WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Crushed the nipple last night and added a bead of weld to try to keep it shut. The injector didn't want to weld as it is almost not metal anymore. I bled air out of the line for the injector but I didn't prefill the injector so I don't think it will work until I fill the injector. Going to try that tonight. 

I was also greeted to a large amount of something on the floor when I walked into the shop.

IMG_20180208_193733

Looks like the fuel pump was leaking diesel at an alarming rate. So that's cool. 
It's never done this before, but I've never had one of the injectors out for so long, so I'm hoping that's related because a pump rebuild is about $800.

This thing is testing my patience lol. 

Haha, he's right ya know? 

So the issue with using other injectors is that I don't know what the body codes mean. KCA30S50 is what the M21 uses, and most Merc stuff seems to use a KCA30S36. 
What is the difference between S50 and S36? Not sure, though I know pressure rating gets involved in there somewhere. It seems BMW uses higher injection pressure than most, which may be a factor. 

I did just find a guy in New York that has a spare set of Euro injectors that he says are in good shape (waiting on pictures) for $175. So if the picture looks good I'll be buying those and getting them tested, or buying stuff to test them myself (pop tester). 

I'm really hoping the leaking fuel pump was a fluke, but it looks like some people add bio diesel to expand seals more and that can help, which I conveniently have free access to biodiesel. 

I think I'm going to turn into a parts hoarder with this thing.....

2 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I spent $20 on something completely pointless that I'm excited to get on the car. 

Other than that I blocked off the overboost valve on the intake manifold, didn't know it was a thing, but it is. Now I can not be dumping air out of that port when trying to go above stock boost levels. 

Sounds dangerous

Image result for danger to manifold gif

Dealership called today and told me the injector crush washers that I ordered were denied because they were illegal to bring into the US. 
They exist on US spec E28 524TD's...... what the hell BMW.

Oh, but in good news they are sending me the EURO ONLY 324TD alternator bracket that I asked about....................................... I'm so confused. 

Note on the alternator bracket, it was like $60 anywhere I could find it online (after shipping that takes 1+ months), dealership is getting it in a week or so for $13. Not bad.

I don't know if it's the dealer, they have no issue ordering them for me but when the request goes to BMW over in Germany they are saying it is illegal to send that item here. Usually only happens with Euro only stuff, but I may go there today and see what the heck is going on. It is a US part, so it getting denied is not logical. 

Those are the nozzles Snap, I'm really hoping I don't get to that point. Dude guy is shipping the new injectors today so I'm going to call and see how much testing / adjusting them will cost, and if the cost is low I will have them cleaned and inspected. If the cost of the shop is too high I will just buy the stuff and do it myself. 

Fuel pump is still dumping fuel and I found that seal kits cost about $15 so I ordered on of those as well. While I have all of the injectors out I may as well pull the fuel pump too and reseal that. 

As for my $20 purchase...

IMG_20180214_152549

I got the middle ones all drilled and mounted, but need to do the outside ones yet. 

I have issues with not doing things properly so I learned how to take apart the sunroof stuff and get to the roof!

IMG_20180214_162519

IMG_20180214_162510

I look forward to wiring them up and putting everything back together! I will be wiring them to the running lights to they are pretty much always on. 

I looked inside the intake manifold after pulling it and I think I need to do some cleaning!

IMG_20180210_115848

I'm glad to finally have injectors that aren't garbage on the way, and I feel like I'm digging myself out of the hole that this motor has been putting me in! 

Next step will be to get the intercooler in place and piped! Ordered some couplers to make that happen, but I'm not sure if I will be sticking with the stock intake manifold for this part. 

Until next time! 

How is the rear view mirror even attached/removed? Mine wiggles a little bit and id like it to not wiggle a little bit. Can you, with your vastness of space and clarity provide me with any such explanation on removing/tightening the rear view mirror? its something id rather not break off out of hopelessness

26 minutes ago, Snap said:

How is the rear view mirror even attached/removed? Mine wiggles a little bit and id like it to not wiggle a little bit. Can you, with your vastness of space and clarity provide me with any such explanation on removing/tightening the rear view mirror? its something id rather not break off out of hopelessness

I remember trying to pull a mirror out of a shell before and it didn't want to move. 
It is spring loaded pins that push into the chassis and apparently you can just wiggle and pull. 

bmw_325i_rvm1.jpg

4 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I don't know if it's the dealer, they have no issue ordering them for me but when the request goes to BMW over in Germany they are saying it is illegal to send that item here. Usually only happens with Euro only stuff, but I may go there today and see what the heck is going on. It is a US part, so it getting denied is not logical. 

There are some random parts on US cars that end up being blocked for no reason and it's frustrating as hell.  We spoke with a BMW rep at SEMA in 2016 in hopes to get more info and finding a workaround for their policy and all we got was a blank look. BMW seems totally oblivious to why this is even a concern among enthusiasts.

If you need blocked Euro parts let me know. We work with a dealer in Europe specifically for this reason. Shipping takes a bit longer and is a little more expensive, but it is an option.

15 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Dealindave coming in hot with the hook up!!! 

I have a very favorable opinion of this project. While some may consider this an abomination, I am very much looking forward to seeing it's completion. 

11 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

*cocks sold separately

Oh no, always free for you cutie. 

15 holes in the roof later...

IMG_20180215_203920

Test fitting and marking more holes

IMG_20180215_202107

Added a wire to get them running without buttoning the whole car back up. 
I'm extremely pleased with how they turned out!

IMG_20180215_210914

IMG_20180215_210846

Dave, you will be getting a message from me! Thanks for the help on that, didn't know you were still lurking on this thread!