WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Tis a vacuum pump! 
Since a diesel engine doesn't create any vacuum in the intake, there needs to be a source for brakes. Many diesels use hydroboost (power steering pump) for brakes, as do e28's, even the gassers. Some run a vacuum pump on a belt, but this one has one that runs on a cam lobe on the main cam. 
Nifty stuff. 

@AsparagusMike showed up Friday and watched me try to get air out of my fuel system for about 5 hours, I'm sure it was amusing seeing it still not start. 

I went back Saturday and loosened the fuel outlet on the back of the pump for one injector and suddenly is was moving fuel (after raising the fuel cell above the pump). 
@HipMF sat and watched in amusement as I tried to get all the air out, while sucking in air bubbles and such, then tried to start it with no avail. I had vast amounts of homework to do so it had to be left for later. 

It turns out that it blows perfect smoke rings out of the exhaust most of the time so that was cool. 

Hopefully will have it running some night this week. 

So I was really hoping to post some sweet pictures of this thing out in the insane snow storm we got this weekend, but apparently that was too much to ask for. 
Got it running but something wasn't right, it would change revs on its own, there was a lot of air moving through the fuel system even though there was no air being pulled into the pump, and things in general were just being odd. at some point it was realized there was fuel dripping out of a banjo bolt that was open, as I believed it had been on the old one. I double checked for sanity and found that the old one indeed never had that port plugged or plumbed, as I thought it was a vent port. 
Well it is, and it should never have diesel seeping out there. Here is a nifty cutaway to show you what port. (10)

Pump cutaway

That area shouldn't really have much fuel in it to begin with, and it certainly shouldn't have fuel on the underside of the boost compensation diaphragm. 

Pump is coming out and going to the diesel shop that did my injectors, along with the parts pile that is my old pump. I hope to sweet baby jesus that they can make the "new" one work with either purchased parts or ideally parts from my old pump.

Can this just work please? 

Dropped the fuel pump off at the diesel shop today. 
I told him what was going on and he immediately had an assumption of what was wrong, and figured it was just an o -ring inside the pump. So that's cool to hear.

I asked him to do what he needed to do to make it work, and test it, so that when I put it in the car I know it will work. 

13 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

You can replace the heater valve with a  bit of hose and a brass valve for cheap, or, disassemble the leaking one, remove the actuator, and cap it with a block off plate which will leave it always open. 

I like the brass valve idea lol. Valve open in winter, valve closed in summer. 

3 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I like the brass valve idea lol. Valve open in winter, valve closed in summer. 

mostly yes, but, dont forget the windshield can fog to hell on a summer day in the rain. without the heat, its hard to get rid of that condensation.  i did a couple of autox runs in the rain with my windows wide open so the windshield would stay clear when i bypassed my heater valve last year.