WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

As promised, the installed picture. It looks odd for some reason. Maybe because everything looks old?

IMG_20171206_191526

Worked on the glow plug harness last night. I had been browsing the ETM and noticed that in the stock harness there was an 80a fuse for the plugs, and realized my wimpy 30a relay wasn't going to cut it. So I ordered this! Normal size relay for scale. (I know, not a banana...)

IMG_20171206_183807

I figured that, along with some 4ga cable running to the battery should do the trick. 
I took all of the individual wires (after stripping them out of the e28 harness) and ran them through the motor and then connected them all together to one terminal.

IMG_20171206_184725

I put the relay on the firewall for now, don't know if I will bother moving it because it's a decent spot to begin with. 

IMG_20171206_192846

Wired up the solenoid for the relay and I was in business!

Bolted the turbo down, which required taking the EGR valve back off (irritating process), and bolted up the feed and drain line for the turbo.
I mocked up a quick exhaust by taking part of the old exhaust and welding two washers to it, I don't feel great about it, but I feel better about it than dying from the exhaust filling the cabin. The turbo outlet points straight at the wiring harness pass through on the passenger side, which I will need to plug, but for now the elbow took care of the major problem. 

As promised.

I think I still have air in one injector line, so I'll have to bleed those again. 

I also don't know about the turbo, it has a tight spot when it spins, so something may have been actually messed up before rebuilding it, not sure if the shaft is too scored or something. There is a used turbo for it on ebay that was stated to have no shaft play so I may just buy that for $150.

Next step is coming up with an alternator mount and getting a belt for it. The water pump (need a new one) is in a different spot from an m20 and results in a longer belt. The alternator "should" also be different, but I think I can make the m20 one work. The mounting for this stuff is all different. 
m21td.jpg

bmw-524td-61.jpg

You can see that the alternator mounts into that slide bracket deal, and sits up higher. 
I'll likely slot a piece of metal and make it a manual adjustment, as the stock setup would require a new alternator (need to verify that) and waiting 6 weeks for the bracket to come from Germany (according to ECS). 

Overall last night was quite fruitful! 

12 minutes ago, Snap said:

It looks like there is more room in front of the engine than with an M20

Partly true, partly a deceiving angle. 

There is no distributor on the front of the engine so that helps.

The power steering pump sits almost in the core support, as I believe the M20 one does, so that area is all the same. 

I thought I was getting away from this boost life, but that didn't work
I will need to stuff an intercooler, and oil cooler, and the radiator all in the front of the car again. But this time I have to be more careful with placement so things don't end up impaled! 

15 minutes ago, suspenceful said:

I think it needs more roof rack and a shovel mount again. And top mount radiator/intercooler... like top of the car mount.

Roof rack and shovel will be added down the road! They did not come intercooled from factory

Those bush winches are sweet, I'll have to see what kind of spacing would work with the current wheels as the lugs sit fairly deep in there.

Just ordered a water pump. Oreilly auto never ceases to amaze. BMW pump was $175 and coming from overseas (5-8weeks), ECS had some weird brand for $65 with a week or so lead time, Oreilly will have one here Saturday for $37 and has a lifetime warranty. 

5 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

As promised, the installed picture. It looks odd for some reason. Maybe because everything looks old?

Could it be the antenna coming from the valve cover that is giving it that odd look?

Man this this is moving along fast. I say shovel and possible roof tent! I mean this is basically an expedition machine now with a lift and diesel power. 

Image result for roof tent

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

Could it be the antenna coming from the valve cover that is giving it that odd look?

Man this this is moving along fast. I say shovel and possible roof tent! I mean this is basically an expedition machine now with a lift and diesel power. 

Haha, all the cool kids are doing it! 
It's looking like I need an elbow connector to make the bend so I don't hit the hood, but that will be heading over to the brake booster.

Roof tent is tricky, because I was hoping to get some bike mounts on the roof basket, so I would have to get creative on space. 

I was going to comment that it's been moving at a snails pace, but it has only been 2 weeks and a couple of days since I picked up the motor. Hoping to drive it this weekend! Even if it is only down the road and back!

tumblr_msfwi5Fg7P1shp34no1_500.gif

IMG_20171207_182638

The lower hose from an E34(?) fits to a late model radiator! 
I need to trim it shorter than stock to get that little kink out of it, but it will work just fine.
The upper hose will either be two stock hoses pieced together, one random find from the parts store, or a flex hose (last resort)

I need to get an expansion tank for the drivers side as the old style expansion tank would get melted by the turbo. If anyone has one laying around I would certainly like to talk!

Drove it about 3 feet last night, so that's a thing. 

1 hour ago, Snap said:

Napa radiator hose #8484 for the top hose.

Is that one quite a bit longer than the "BMW" replacement? I'm coming from the side of the head (weird, right?) and it angles up fairly steep so I need plenty o' length to get back to the radiator. 
I'll have to check that one out though!

@jc43089 sounds a bit rich for this cars blood lol. I'll keep it in mind if I don't find one at the junkyard or something. 

IMG_20171210_144736

So this finally happened! My radiator hoses are not great, they are spliced together out of two different hoses both top and bottom. 
I also don't have power steering yet because the mounting stuff is different, but driving it without power steering is surprisingly okay. So I need to figure out what I want to do there. 
I'll also probably order the real radiator hoses, and need to get a late model expansion tank in the car because the current one is sketchy at best!
The clutch is also slightly odd, it was an e46 setup, and I'm not quite sure what's going on.

In short, it's got kinks yet, but I got to do fun stuff.