WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

I finally took care of something that sucked about this car, the blower only working on high, and sounding like death while doing so. 
Pulled the old blower motor out and I don't think there was anything left that could be considered a bearing, the shaft through the motor was able to move around about 1/4" in any direction. Had a spare motor that I threw in there and buttoned it up.
Old motor

IMG_20171118_115212

Aaannndd it all buttoned back up.

IMG_20171118_115219

Picture after having washed it, don't mind the door cards on the shelf. Those have since been tossed!

IMG_20171113_185227

The exhaust took a bit of a hit from high centering the car, 

IMG_20171113_185615

IMG_20171113_185607

I also did a few other things, but we shall get to that a bit later :)

On 10/23/2017 at 0:27 PM, HipMF said:

Regardless, I think you should challenge yourself to actually find the problem here and fix it instead of throwing your hands in the air and giving up.

Well @HipMF now that I've completed my problem solving of the M20's running issues I'm free to do as I please again, right?

Welcome ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the next chapter of this cars existence. 

IMG_20171116_211936

I went to a friend's place who is always building crazy stuff and he had it sitting in an E46 that he was working on making his commuter but ended up buying an e90 335d instead. 

He knew of the lifted E30 and offered me what I feel like was a good deal on the motor along with his assistance and knowledge if needed. 

From what I'm learning, these motors are not common stateside and finding parts for them is even trickier, especially if I'm looking for E30 diesel specific parts. 

The block is based on an M20 so the large items are simple, motor mounts from the E motor bolted right up, oil pan swaps right over, transmission works, but it's all the little stuff that will be work. The cooling system being the primary difference. 

Luckily this example is a fully mechanical injection setup and doesn't need any wiring other than a starter to run, so that helps me out a lot. I will be building a small harness (or modifying an old E30 one) to get coolant temp, engine RPM and other associated things. 

I want to make sure this thing runs before I start spending too much money on it, so I ordered a new timing belt along with an oil filter and will be starting the motor out of the car to ensure it's good to go, and then it will be a free for all to stuff it in the car and get it running as quickly as possible. 

5 hours ago, Earl said:

Have you tried looking for amy weird cult pages for the turbo diesel lincolns? Being that those had this motor, someone might have a stash of parts over here to fix them. Also, did Canada get these? I know they got m51's and some of the other 90's era diesels. 

I'm hoping I don't need any major parts that aren't available online, though I will say it is amusing searching some of the part numbers from realOEM and getting no results....
I think North America saw about 3,500 524td's per the work of someone on a forum contacting BMW. 

I've learned so many things about diesel's and how their whole system works, and I'm quite excited to get this thing running!

There certainly are a few funny things though, like how do you bleed the cooling system of something that won't get to operating temperature while idling? 

It was a one or two year production in the Lincoln, and the Bertone should be even easier to find ;)

The parts I need for it are chassis specific or stuff that I wouldn't buy used. 
Like the water pump, the bearings are pretty bad, but luckily that one is easy to get. 
E30 specific radiator hoses are available from ECS as Euro Only, but will run me $75 before shipping. 

The timing belt tensioner is slightly rough though, I think the OEM's didn't private label anything due to the low volume of parts, but the genuine BMW tensioner/idler is $100. 
Finding parts for the Lincoln appears to be even worse actually. 

I'm looking forward to starting attempts this weekend :)

I also need to remember to buy diesel oil, looks like it's quite different from standard engine oil.
:shrug:

Edit: just found the turbo diesel section of MyE28, this should be quite useful!

1 hour ago, Earl said:

Couldn't you run those ribbed for her pleasure universal radiator hoses for now? 

I think I'll be able to get away with that, yes. 

I'm avoiding spending any money on it until I know it runs, which I wish wasn't on my brain considering what I paid for it, but better to know earlier than later! 
He was going full speed on his project with it so I'm not too concerned, but it will take what I'm assuming will be another 300-500 to get it fully grafted into the car and I don't want to start spending before I'm certain I can make it work!

I don't blame you for being cautious about spending money on it. Im not sure how that injection pump works, but make sure its bleed properly and cleaned well before you start cranking it over. I know that old mechanical injection diesels wont start with air in the line and old fuel tend to gum up the insides of the pump if it sits long enough.

One thing I would also be cautious about when you do finally get it to start, is it running away from you. Keep something to suffocate that sucker if she takes the "D" and starts screaming.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-pxsViKF88