WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

• 6 months later...

Got this rolled into the shop Friday night, and got back at it! I was going to swap out wiring harnesses because I picked up a harness from another car, but after pulling the old one out and putting the new one in I realized all that was doing was adding more variables to the equation, and that's not what I needed! I put the old harness back in after cleaning up the contacts and grounds and figured I would start at square one. To my surprise it ran like it always used to, poorly, but running. I was quite excited!

I swapped in a set of projectors up front, and with the help of Mr. Mike got the relays jumped around so that I can run low beams, high beams, and the "offroad lights" which are wired up to the existing fog-light circuitry. I just need to get pigtails to connect to the 9005/9006 bulbs. 

My most immediate goals are to level the car out (spacing the front subframe down 1.5") and to get some rear flares figured out. 

The front subframe work is going to be an amusing one, as I will be keeping the motor in the same position relative to the chassis. After doing that I will start on a new skid plate and bash bar.

The ditches are trembling already...

2017-10-16_08-10-23

4 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

I have a sudden urge to build a bull bar for my E36. This thing is so awesome, is this going to be your winter beater if you get it sorted? :D

I may drive it frequently, but I don't think it will see daily duty. 
If I wanted to daily it I would need to work on the blower motor situation, as it only works on high, and sounds terrible while doing it. 

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I just need to get pigtails to connect to the 9005/9006 bulbs. 

I may have some of these, I'll check tonight.

Why didn't you swap the harness and start the car (without changing anything else)? If the car ran better, it was your problem. If not, you could've then swapped back to the old harness. Either way - nice to see you working on this again.

Has 'BEN PLS' been etched into the windshield glass?

1 hour ago, suspenceful said:

I may have some of these, I'll check tonight.

Why didn't you swap the harness and start the car (without changing anything else)? If the car ran better, it was your problem. If not, you could've then swapped back to the old harness. Either way - nice to see you working on this again.

Has 'BEN PLS' been etched into the windshield glass?

I was wondering if those were the right plugs and forgot to ask you about it. If you wanna check that would be cool.

The "new" harness had a square c101, and the chassis is a round c101, and the control style is very different between the two so converting it isn't super fun. There is a longer story to it, but not worth typing. 

Yep, that's etched into the glass now lol

This thing is being a pain. Going to try fresh gas and see if it helps, but it is running poorly again. 
It is running super rich from the smell of it.
What color is this injector? Grey? Going to pull a part number on it and double check to ensure it is correct as the E uses specific injectors. 

IMG_20171020_164308

If anyone has any motors sitting around (BMW V8?) let me know, I'm about ready to ditch the E motor. 

Stock LS engine with an auto would be cheap to buy. Depends on if can get it to work with the stock oil pan and headers.

Regardless, I think you should challenge yourself to actually find the problem here and fix it instead of throwing your hands in the air and giving up.

16 minutes ago, HipMF said:

Stock LS engine with an auto would be cheap to buy. Depends on if can get it to work with the stock oil pan and headers.

Regardless, I think you should challenge yourself to actually find the problem here and fix it instead of throwing your hands in the air and giving up.

I haven't given up yet, but we both can agree that it would be way more fun with an M60 under the hood! 

1 hour ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I disagree with both of these the things lol. 

Unless there is something I'm missing 

Like Mike said, you could get an LS with auto trans and an ECU for cheap. This is an off-road vehicle, you don't need to tie in a bunch of complicated electronics and functions. Find a way to mount the LS in the car and cut the driveshaft to fit.

With that said... I can see you disliking the auto trans part of it and sadly, T56 are expensive.

I pulled the part number on the injectors the other day and they turn out to be M50 injectors, which is odd because they sure don't look green.
Found some E injectors from a friend locally, and snuck those into the fuel rail last night. 

It runs great on 4 cylinders now...... 
Could unplug injector #1 and #6 and it wouldn't make any difference in idle, but with all of them plugged in it drove fine. 
Going to leave them unplugged and try to drive it tonight to see if they are actually working past idle. 

The coolant bleed screw passage is also blocked so I couldn't get air out of the system. That part feels all too familiar.

4 hours ago, GunMetalGrey said:

I pulled the part number on the injectors the other day and they turn out to be M50 injectors, which is odd because they sure don't look green.
Found some E injectors from a friend locally, and snuck those into the fuel rail last night. 

It runs great on 4 cylinders now...... 
Could unplug injector #1 and #6 and it wouldn't make any difference in idle, but with all of them plugged in it drove fine. 
Going to leave them unplugged and try to drive it tonight to see if they are actually working past idle. 

The coolant bleed screw passage is also blocked so I couldn't get air out of the system. That part feels all too familiar.

So at idle it sounds like it looks? :D

So what would stop an injector from opening at idle? Not enough fuel pressure? Do you have a gauge, regulator, or wideband on it? ( I figure you dont but I have to ask)