WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

WOW.  Opened this thread expecting comments about this pile of shit car I bought, instead died laughing at you two. Thanks for making my morning.

9 hours ago, Daggerty said:

I have a wing that I have been holding onto for like 5 years and will probably never use.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/JDM-57-GT-Style-Adjustable-Bracket-Down-Force-Spoiler-Wing-ABS-Black-/191513523886?nav=SEARCH

its similar to this one, you can just have it. It is very large.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where and when can I come get it. I'm already in my car just waiting to drive to your house. I need to start making uprights STAT!

47 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

Just left the Look What I Found thread from watching bad photos. Now I come here and see this shit. 

Why is everyone being so offensive to my visual senses with other people's horrible car modification ideas?! I feel that this forum is no longer a safe space for me and my mental well-being is at stake.

I'm suing. 

Image result for that's just your opinion man

Also, in further news, my drift stick came. It was half out of the packaging and the anodizing is scratched and banged up. Looks like it already knows the type of car its getting installed into B). I was able to use a thread finder at work and confirmed that the fittings for the cylinder are 3/8-24 for an inverted flare and 7/16-20 for a flare tube fitting. To my dismay, the auto parts store had neither. Guess I will have to use my internets explorer to find these such items.

On top of that, I also bought some allen key set screws for the two open holes on the timing cover. sealed them up and reassembled water pump. Boom, no more leaks, no more loud bearing noise, no more mis-matched bolts, and no more weeping. Drove it around the block, did some drifto's, parked it back inside, life is good. Now onto wangs, tint, and drift sticks.

7 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

Like I said man. Those threads are a pain in the ass. Give Pegasus a call?

Yup. Gonna go tomorrow before 1pm when they close I think. I might have to use a AN adapter to the 7/16 because WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT SIZES!?!?!

Also this is the drift stick I got. it was $34 shipped. I already plan on making a new handle. I opted for this because it was cheap, I didn't have to mess with the pivots when making a new handle, and it has a lock for a parking brake.

Image result for HYDRO E BRAKE

UPDATE. I drove the car to work.

EDIT!  I tried to drive the car to work.

I got about half way and the watertemps started going to about 220ish. Boiling coolant spewed from the unsealed overflow and on to the windshield (luckily on the side that has a windshield wiperB)) I turned back around and put it back in the garage after pulling over every 5 mins to let it cool off. :| Neat experience.

( I cant believe I haven't given up on this turd yet)

Tonight I plan on installing a new upper coolant house as the one on there is a shitty flex-fit, a new thermostat and gasket, and attempting to properly bleed the coolant system.

OH! and thanks to @Daggerty I have a massive rear wing to install now. I just need to build some uprights. B)

IMG_0953.JPG

Well I discovered what my problem is last night. I sure am learning a lot about these here Ferd motors.  

I got a new t-stat, gasket, and a new upper coolant hose I chopped up from a ford explorer to replace the shitty flex-fit one. I tried to bleed the system with the front right in the air and the cap as the highest point. It burped for awhile then suddenly tons of coolant poured out. Almost a whole gallon worth. Really weird. So then I shut the car down and topped it off again and let it bleed some more. This time I put the cap on when it started pouring out. Coolant gauge was reading a steady 180 at idle. I decided to go around the block and see what would happen. Here's where I noticed something odd. If I was on the throttle, temps would rise to 230 and continue but at idle they would slowly come back down.

Any guesses on what would cause this........

Okay fine I already know the answer. Since this motor has been around so long, components and accessories need to shift from the left to the right of the motor, depending on the car and the belt style. For example, a 1992 mustang 302 would have a serpentine belt spinning most of the same components in the same direction, where as a 1977 Ford F150 302 would use a V belt and have some of the same components mounted in different locations, and possibly have them spinning in the other direction. 

Moral of the story? I have a counter-clockwise spinning water pump spinning clockwise. As exciting as this is, I might not have to swap it out. I can simply install a power steering pump that is not on the car and make the belt go under the pulley rather than over, flipping the direction in which it is turning. UGhhh isnt learning fun?

Also, on the more aesthetic side of things, as I patiently await my red window tint, I started to think about rear window louvers. Now there's a few threads out there on other forums about E36's with louvers and it just doesn't exist. And from what I gathered, the whole world will burn if I make it happen.

Well I guess I just want to make the world burn.

So if you guys have any leads on your brothers, or your cousins cousin, or your uncles Larry's bitching mustang that's been sitting in his yard with a set of window louvers hes willing to sell, send me in his direction. I want a set. I found a few on C-list, but im not 100% they are going to fit with my dimensions. I also have my eye on some of those roof visors that people put on civics. I figured maybe I could take 5 or 6 of those things and layer them giving the effect of louvers. Any ideas here are welcome as I want to keep this cheap, even if it meant I have to start making fiberglass molds.

Pics of said louvers:

AST10532-1.jpg0001917_bmw-e28-e12-rear-window-louver.jpegacCFfn4.jpgimage-620569016.jpg

13 hours ago, Earl said:

I had a friend in California who is close friends with the guy that does louvres for 350/370z's and other newer cars. He had my friends m3 to make louvres and the shape of the rear window wasn't working for him to built a set that fit right

Thats good to know, any pics of said car and louvers? I want some!!

5 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Thats good to know, any pics of said car and louvers? I want some!!

The guy never made them because the shape of the rear window didn't allow for him to make it look right. Take a peek at the compound curves of the rear window and you'll see what I'm talking about=)

7 hours ago, Earl said:

The guy never made them because the shape of the rear window didn't allow for him to make it look right. Take a peek at the compound curves of the rear window and you'll see what I'm talking about=)

Dont bring rain to my party. I think I can make it happen. NO MATTER WHAT. So many ppl hating it, or saying it isnt possible is making me want to make it a reality more and more. as a matter of fact, I just finished photoshopping it now.

louvershop7.jpg

Okay, so more progress on the water pump/ power steering issue. When I got the car the guy gave me a bunch of random parts and boxes he had sitting in his garage that went with the car. In one of those boxes was two of what I believe to be late 90's V6 vulcan Ford explorer power steering pumps. Since looking for any information about this Ford 302 motor is a nightmare because of 394853 different styles of everything, I just decided one of these pumps will have to do. I grabbed some various material I had laying around to mock up brackets to hold the pump in place. From here I plan on making something a little more acceptable in CAD and machining it. This is what I cam up with so far:

IMG_0969.JPGIMG_0970.JPG

High quality, I know. But its serving its purpose for a good mock up. I don't really have to worry about adjustability as there is a heim joint on the alternator to adjust the slack in the belt.

I started making mock-up risers for mounting the Rear wing from @Daggerty. I dont exactly know if im 100% sold on the wing yet. Something about it just isnt what I envisioned. I think mostly its because of mounting brackets to secure it on the decklid. I think the uprights need to be mounted behind the car somewhere, and the car needs flares or something. The wing just might be a little premature at this point. hmmmm....

On another note, I am finishing the power steering brackets today and should have that installed tonight. I also started looking into paint treatments and photoshoppped some to make the car look more ratty. I think I might be using some red paint carelessly tonight....

louvershop8.jpg

SEMARod2011-9382.jpg