WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

24 minutes ago, Snap said:

Help me understand the speed sensor situation. You have an E36 speedometer and would assume that is being driven from the E36 VSS in the diff. So where is this particular speed sensor you replaced and what is its purpose?

Ah yess, you are correct. This particular sensor is in the side of the transmission of the Ford T5. It was broken and hacked, which also caused leaking. The new sensor wont be connected to anything, but it will be there to fill the hole correctly without leaking.

Image result for t5 transmission speed sensor

I also forgot to mention that my next step is welding the diff, attaching the roof rack, and installing the hydro hand brake. I have been updating the CAD file for the lever so that it can be machined with a 1/16 end mill. Doing so, I had to reduce a lot of the sharp corners that are just impossible to machine and I am working with adjusting the tool path.

The updated part is on the right.

hydro_compare2.jpg

More angle iron you say? More brackets from scrap metal to cut yourself on and get Tetanus? 

Opisthotonus in a patient suffering from tetanus - Painting by Sir Charles Bell - 1809.jpg

Say no more! I welded some flat stock to the trans tunnel for mounting the Hydro brake. I plan on cleaning it up the sharp corners so any passengers dont loose a knee cap, but I am happy with the location and strength. I will most likely mount the whole setup 1" higher on an aluminum extrusion so I have room for fasteners and I dont have nuts under the car.IMG_4546.JPGIMG_9512.JPGIMG_9518.JPG

I also installed the front sway bar as it was never installed when I got the car. the mounts were bent up a bit and the endlinks snapped in half, so I assume someone hit something. I also did an engine flush with ATF. Felt  really weird doing it, but made a massive difference. I would also like to note that the engine takes 7quarts of oil with the remote filter.  

Finally got around to making brackets and installing the roof rack. It was a way bigger pain that I anticipated and I still need to change some things to make it stronger/ safer. For now I can stand on it and it holds my weight just fine. I can also grab it and shake the whole car and it has almost no flex near the roof line. The back side where the long brackets go down to the quarter panels does have some movement, but I plan on machining uprights that will fit the wing and the roof rack to be dual purpose. 

*Make note that the self tappers are there as a temporary fastener until I swap out to better hardware - Black paint is also on the list*

Before:

IMG_4595.JPG

After:

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG

Yes, the trunk still opens. 

IMG_4608.JPGIMG_4616.JPG

Now that I have the extra storage space, I loaded all of the boxes and misc parts I have for the car on the rack.

IMG_4617.JPGIMG_4618.JPGIMG_4619.JPG

7 minutes ago, Snap said:

The functionality of that rack is amazing! Perfect sheetrock mover

I know!!! Its a shame I cant get truck plates :lol:

7 minutes ago, Bassboy3313 said:

I like how half of the lettering on the rear tires is worn/burned off already :D

Yeah... I added the spacers but didn't chop the quarters out right away before moving it. Good eye!

31 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Learned something about M3 mirrors yesterday. -If you blast one off with your hip, they snap right back together with snap pins.

I always thought they were fixed. Good to know!

Image result for M3 mirror apart

I learned this in a parking lot the other day! Somebody whacked my mirror and I came back to a note and my mirror hanging by a wire. I was pissed for about a minute till I realized they just pop back on. I'm sure it gave the person who bumped it a heart attack haha 

1 hour ago, m42b32 said:

I learned this in a parking lot the other day! Somebody whacked my mirror and I came back to a note and my mirror hanging by a wire. I was pissed for about a minute till I realized they just pop back on. I'm sure it gave the person who bumped it a heart attack haha 

WOW. A good citizen indeed. 

So I feel like an idiot for never checking this but this is my current predicament. I was going to go to the final drift event this weekend, but now that's looking like its going to be a stretch. 

I had a what I thought was a spare 3.93 open diff for this car that I welded and was going to install last night. Problem is that its not the same style as what is in the car. The front half mounting position only has one mounting ear to the sub frame and the one I welded has two. So if anyone has an open 3.93/4.10 E36 diff that has one front mounting ear, I will trade you or buy it from you.

For sale/trade-

• 3.93 Welded
  • 3.91 LSD 

This is the diff/ subframe I have in the car:

22243789_10154872534372109_422501690_o.jpg

22218090_10154872534422109_1423404648_o.jpg22243836_10154872534377109_408052092_o.jpg

This is the diff I welded:

22251468_10154872534637109_1081206825_o.jpg22219224_10154872534432109_932229113_o.jpg22219403_10154872534537109_1971762840_o.jpg

I assume I cannot use this diff because the front mounting ears are not the same. Am I correct?