WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

Did some thangs. 

Tried to do burnouts in the shop, failed because the floor is too slick. (see videos)

• Doing so I also mashed the brakes and discovered that the brake fluid reservoir was leaking allowing air into the lines. Good and easy fix even though I need to add the handbrake.

I also bought some wheel spacers and a Renown steering wheel from Earl. 

• Spacers worked great
  • Steering wheel needs to be closer to me yet

IMG_4453.mov

IMG_4452.mov

IMG_4450.JPGIMG_4446.JPGIMG_4449.JPGIMG_4448.JPG

Anyone know where I can get lexan windows, or if I will make it past tech inspection with that smashed window??

10 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

You'll get through tech with a crack but I'm not sure about that mess. Depends on the organization. 

"That Mess" is from a well placed hood without hood struts prior to my ownership. I figured most places dont care because drift cars get smashed, but you never know.

Also- condor only sells side windows.  I am looking for front and rear Lexan. Probably making it myself...http://targamiata.com/tags.php?tag=lexan window

5 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

why on earth would you do a lexan windshield? buy a used windshield for $100. a sheet of lexan probably costs the same.  save yourself the time and possible throat slashing in an accident.

Throat slashing? You have no trust in polycarbonate?

If you know of, or have some guidance on a new window, help me out!

17 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Throat slashing? You have no trust in polycarbonate?

If you know of, or have some guidance on a new window, help me out!

yeah, poly is stronger than glass, but, when it breaks you get shards. maybe the break threshold is so high that an accident that bad would kill you anyways, but i'm not an expert so I'd err on 'better not find out.'

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/d/e36-325is-part-out/6272159242.html

34 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

yeah, poly is stronger than glass, but, when it breaks you get shards. maybe the break threshold is so high that an accident that bad would kill you anyways, but i'm not an expert so I'd err on 'better not find out.'

Windows cracked on that one.

11 hours ago, HipMF said:

wait, what?

Windshields are usually a structural part of the car and it's generally a Bad Idea to replace them with plastic if you're not going to cage the car.

This is a fact. Good point.

I just need something that is not cracked and I was thinking of something I could cheaply do myself. I wonder how much I can get a window installed for?

@#&&*#^$@&*##!!!

Just tried to drive this to my work to mount the roof rack. Got about two blocks and a clunky clunk clunk started at the left front. Pulled over and whattyah know.. One of the studs was M.I.A. and the rest were all loose. :mellow:

Walked back two blocks, got tools, came back, fixed everything drove back and parked it. I knew that last drink the other night was 1 too many when I was installing the wheels lol. 

Im an idiot.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:50 PM, straight6pwr said:

Shout out

More updates-

So when I tried to drive this the other day the tires were rubbing pretty bad with the new spacers(front and back). So I started modding the extra front fenders as I originally intended. 

• Cut the lower half
  • Bent it to shape
  • Cut out venting for the phuture when the world is 40% hotter
  • Tested out my LED idea in the fender, not quite sold on it

IMG_4522.JPGIMG_4523.JPGIMG_4532.JPGIMG_4529.JPGIMG_4527.JPG

I also really like the way it looks without fenders 

IMG_4518.JPG

I have an extra diff that I need to weld so I took a closer look at that again and snapped some pics. IF anyone can explain the welded washer to this stud that would be great. 

IMG_4503.JPGIMG_4505.JPG

14 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Someone probably hung the exhaust somehow from that washer contraption.  Mine had a random bolt welded to the subframe with a hose clamp around it to hold the exhaust up.  Super classy stuff.

Yeah. I bet you are right. When I got the car the exhaust was.............ZIP-TIED UP!!!!!

28 minutes ago, Earl said:

That is some ghetto mods with that diff...yikes lol

What if you took a piece of plexiglass and frosted it to disperse the light behind those vents on the top of the fender? 

You think that's bad?! Check out the slave cylinder and trans mount that I never posted:

IMG_4509.JPGIMG_4508.JPG

And Ehhh... about the LEDs and plexi, I just think its too much in general right now. We will see how it looks once I have the roof rack on and the random cables coming out of it.

Took care of some of the less exciting things that I have been putting off.

• Replaced the broken speed sensor filled with RTV and JB weld
  • Swapped out the AC fan that was used as a cooling fan that was also loudly spinning backwards with a new slim fan
  • Actually hooked up the new fan to a switch and a relay instead of full power all the time originally installed with wing nuts 
  • Trimmed and painted some things and replaced a lot of hardware on the front of the car with 10mm head bolts so that I dont have to use 6 sizes to fix something
  • Failed to take pics of everything minus the speed sensor because its a hilarious hack job
  • Broke my harbor freight vice

IMG_4536.JPGIMG_4535.JPGIMG_4455.JPG