WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

Well carnage is assumed to take place above the drivers side head with in the confines of a valve cover. I looked at parts pricing today anticipating the worst only to find that a whole gasket set is a mere $14 and lifters, push-rods, and all that jazz can be had for the cost of misc pocket change found on the floorboards. I will probably tear into this thing sooner than I should, but I really feel like it will be a simple fix.

With that said, I anticipate working really late on all of my projects tonight in hopes to have some type of progress in a drive-able form by this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... for starters I didn't take any more pictures, but trust me I will.

I did however pull the intake manifold and all of the components attached to it. I then proceeded to pull the valve cover off and look for some carnage. No broken parts was a very good sign, but then it was obvious; all the rockers and push-rods were nice and snug except for lucky cylinder #7. There is a about a good 1/2" of play in the rocker so I removed that as well as the push rod. From here I assumed that I collapsed the lifter or flattened the cam but no parts stores sell a lifter tool anymore. 

With that I decided to make my own tool only to fail finding out that the lifter may have mushroomed on the back side preventing it from coming out. SO.. now I have 1 of 2 options.

1. I can remove the heads and access the lifters that way. This would obviously mean that I need to basically take 60% of the motor apart BUT also install the GT40 heads I have sitting here for more power. This does also mean I will have to get the GT40 heads machined and the car will be down for awhile.

OR.......

2. I can remove the radiator and all of the accessories to get access to the cam. Then I can pull the cam out, and drop each lift into the cam valley one at a time. This might be           the faster easier route, but the amount of sludge and dirty oil I have found so far means leaving the motor as is, is also risky business.  Good thing I can get a whole new               motor on C-list for $200.

So what do I do here? Any thoughts from the grandstands? 

Here is what I assume happened( the arrow is the direction I would need to remove it through the head and am unable to ):

Badlifter.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well since everyone has been so helpful in providing an opinion on what I should do here, I think I am going to tear into the Intake manifold valley and see if I can get the lifter out that way. If I find any evidence of more than just a single lifter, I am buying a hot cam and roller lifters and sending the heads to get machined. Fix all the things!

2 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

well that's unfordunate.

i vote for quick and dirty and get her back on the road.

I see what you did there. And I also agree with quick and dirty.

36 minutes ago, wasnt m3 said:

I can't imagine taking anything apart in that engine and not throwing a cam in it...

26 minutes ago, HipMF said:

^ this

I mean, it is afFORDable 

Soo..... Since I havent posted pictures, I took some last night. I didnt really get around to working on much because I was helping a friend put a set of cams in his R32. 

IMG_2662.JPGIMG_2659.JPGIMG_2661.JPGIMG_2660.JPG

The oil is caked up pretty bad in nooks, crannies, and corners. I assume part of the reason its like this is not having a dipstick installed makes it hard to change/check the oil. This might even be why I have the ticking. According to the internets, the lifters can easily get gunked up and stick. The solution is to run ATF or sea foam through the engine and it MIGHT solve the problem. At this point though, I have most of it apart to inspected for other hacked up surprises and just assumed for the worst plus it was the perfect excuse to run a bigger cam. :)

IMG_2890.JPG

• 1 month later...

So I havent done much with this car besides stare at it and want to drive it really really badly. So I am going to buy big duck overfenders for it tonight in hopes that it boosts my desire to get it back under the knife soon. The motor is still apart with all the gaskets just waiting for me. I need a good solid night of wrenching on ONLY this car. 

Picture of the overfenders (not my car)

26FF30B9-725F-4D32-9906-EF3282868FE3_zps

1 hour ago, Jdesign said:

So I havent done much with this car besides stare at it and want to drive it really really badly. So I am going to buy big duck overfenders for it tonight in hopes that it boosts my desire to get it back under the knife soon. The motor is still apart with all the gaskets just waiting for me. I need a good solid night of wrenching on ONLY this car. 

Picture of the overfenders (not my car)

26FF30B9-725F-4D32-9906-EF3282868FE3_zps

Photobucket does not work anymore :/

So it looks like the Big Ducks brought me some motivation like I hoped. I pulled the rest of the motor apart and inspected the lifter. Looking again at cams, I would have to tear the front waterpump and everything off of the block (again) and I am not sure if I want to deal with that right now this late in the season. On top of that, this thing has roller lifters and I am having a hard time finding a cheap cam that comes with rollers  as well. Most of the cheap cam kits come with flat tappets. 

IMG_4021.JPGIMG_4020.JPG

Good on the left, bad on the right.

IMG_4017.JPGIMG_4018.JPGIMG_4019.JPG

I also got the overs on and mocked up. I plan on painting them and wanted the holes in them prior to paint. The fitment is 8/10, which is better than needed for this car.

IMG_4025.JPGIMG_4024.JPGIMG_4023.JPGIMG_4022.JPG

I have only recently discovered how nice it is to have the steering wheel close rto you after trying it out. I also have a Takata airbag recall to tend to. With enough luck I can get metal shards embedded in my chest, Tony Stark can hook me up with a chest-mount electromagnet and I can wear his extra Iron Man suit

Iron Patriot sucks.