WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

FuturisticConcept Art BMW E36 with a V8 on a bottom dollar budget

Jdesign

12 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

Will that design kill some leverage? Pass thru styles are already kind of ish lacking as far as locking sticky rear tires goes

You would think so, but it seems to work just as well as before. The only difference is that the leverage/pivot point is in a different location. 

12 hours ago, Snap said:

Futuristic post apocalyptic car could have a bank of small solar panels (doubling as a battery tender for when the car is off)

I really like this idea. Where does one find cheap solar panels?

10 minutes ago, P_Roloff said:

Have you thought about using NACA ducts on the hood or roof? Might look interesting. 

I have thought about using them, I was thinking about using clear ones in the rear quarter windows. I want really big openings, or lots of louvers in the hood or trunk like an old hot rod. 

HOOD_Brainstorming_3.jpg

5 hours ago, YoungCR said:

I have that hood from the parts car too if you want that back to experiment with. 

If you kept it, I will use it. I have bee doing the same thing with the fenders. It always helps that I can Photoshop what I have in my head first so I have something to base my ideas around. 

E36_brainstorming_Phuturistic_Death_Machine_Side.jpg

6 hours ago, straight6pwr said:

those louvers look mean, love that. however, I can't imagine how much work that would be.

That's why I might cut large openings, and then use an air return vent from the hardware store. There is no way in hell I would pay for a die, or spend that much time.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report on this as of lately. I did fix the lug holes that were stripped out by PO and ordered and replaced the shifter bushing that was missing. I also covered the trans tunnel hole with a nice piece of silicon sheet from McMaster Carr to prevent heat, noise, and other elements from coming into the cabin(pics of this later). I did though, manage to see something that has me rethinking my hydro bake location and lever design...

IMG_0918.PNG

I contacted a friend of mine with a 12' brake at his shop that is going to bend up some side skirts for me. So I made him a quick orthographic with dimensions. Material is undecided, more or less I am just letting him use what ever is easier for him. He said he has aluminum, polycarbonate / lexan, and steel so we will see. 

Side_Skirts.JPG

Here is an example of a guy in the UK that made a set for his car

Metal skirts_6.jpgMetal skirts_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I Have not done much with this lately as I was out of state on vaca. I need to focus on my E30 now though, but I would like to mention I plan on aligning it the next few days with the warm weather. Actually putting some miles on it again to see if I can break something should be entertaining. 

I drove this pile again today...

I almost forgot how fun it is with so much instant torque. I also forgot what its like to drive inside a pink bubble :rolleyes:

First issue I noticed was that now that I have lowered it more, there is a scrapping noise under the car. It resembles something of the driveshaft hitting something as it rotates and increases with speed. I will have to look into this as the car doesnt need any more holes than it already has.. 

The other thing I noticed was that the suspension seems WAYYYYYYYY to soft for being as low as it is. Maybe the struts are all blown? Hmmm. I plan on increasing the preload adjustment in hopes that firms it up a bit.

On the other hand, the power steering is so perfect I almost want to swap a ford explorer PS pump on my E30. LOL

Stay tuned for burnout videos once I get the driveshaft issued fixed and its actually still light outside.

Heres a picture since I havent posted one in awhile:

IMG_1264.JPG

7 hours ago, Daggerty said:

Could be a heat shield dragging or just rusty parking brake inner rotor. Also the sound dending in the tunnel likes to fall on the driveshaft.

Could be. I wasnt extremely concerned, but it was certainly annoying. I think all the heat shields are missing, so its more likely it was a dragging parking brake.

Got pretty ballsy Last night and decided to drive 20 miles. It made it there and back without issues, but there was certainly ALOT of noises coming from areas. Areas noises shouldn't come from. I think my driveshaft/ brake/ scraping noise needs further inspection. It made the noise the entire time I drove, and was there at all speeds, 0-60 mph. I did manage to put the car on the lift before I left to make sure everything was tight and noticed these marks/gouges, but I wouldn't think that the suspension compression would move the drive shaft enough to make the connection. I assume these are older marks from a previous time. I need to compress the suspension when I have it on the lift and confirm this though.

IMG_1584.JPGIMG_1583.JPG

Other than that everything seems as sketchy as it should be. Next creature comforts on the to do list include: Heat, and working windows.