WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Old/new guy with a BMW problem

RobZR

Since I've been lurking here forever, I might as well introduce myself. I'm Rob and I have Bimmer problem.
Oops, wrong forum. My addiction started with a crusty E34 540A in Hellrot.
Since then I have accumulated a '95 E34 540i/6 in Hellrot another in Calypso, a'01 e38 740il(aka "mom's taxi")
a '98 M-roadster in Estoril, and my son Zach's '01 E46 330Cic (aka "no you can't have my roadster" father/son project)

We have met many of you at the E30 picnic and Bimmer Car show this year and last.

We hail from Oak Creek, and have accumulated a plethora of BMW knowledge from this forum and others.

Thanks

RobZR 

Bimmer problem1.jpg

Bimmer problem2.jpg

Bimmer problem3.jpg

32 minutes ago, YoungCR said:

Welcome! It was great meeting you at the e30 pic in two years ago when you brought the Calypso 540, great car.

We had my sons E46 this year,  to showcase his handy work. I'm in a big quandary about Calypso. I purchased it to replace my daily Hellrot E34, but with how nice the car is I don't want to drive it through the winter. What a problem to have too many garage queens. lol

RobZR

Thank you the castle is more like a hut. The hellrot 540/6 was to be sold already, yet the quandary with Calypso. 

The main theme of the bunch is that none are original rust belt cars.  All these cars have involved a road trip of some sort. 

E34's one from San Jose other from San Diego via  Colorado.

E36/7 from Huston

E38 from OKC via Indy.

E46 from NC.

Met many great BMW fans in the process. Thou some of these trips were filled with adventures of brake downs all are memorable in the end. Would highly recommend one. 

RobZR

Once you work on a car without the need of a blue tip wrench, you never want to go back. 

You get spoiled. 

My 1st e34 540ia was from Chicago. It was 10 years old when I got it, I could hear it rust. Working on it was a nightmare of rusty bolts. I didn't know any better and delt with it. Once I got the first 540i/6 from Cali I was spoiled and saw the light.

RobZR

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

whats the problem with the calypso (besides that I don't own it)?

No, problem at all, Just need a "Garage with a house attached" for all my toys. Calypso was intended to be my daily driver, but that would be cruel to such clean E34. so, it's been  at my in-laws garage under a cover till needed.  Drove it last weekend, forgot how much fun the 3.64LSD is in that car.:D

1 hour ago, wasnt m3 said:

Glad to see you posting finally! Is the Roadster on the road yet?

Roady is still in a holding pattern. prepped for the Randy Forbes kit just needs welding.

Keeps getting backburnnered.  Spent spring and summer wrenching on the E46 with Zach and teaching #2 son David Detailing.

Working on Cars with your kids. Priceless.

2 hours ago, Snap said:

You need to hold a seminar: how to convince a significant-other to allow for multiple bmw purchases.

I will sit front row and take notes

First of all buy her one. Make it better then yours, but one she picks out. I got her the E38 with the options she wanted, not what I wanted. So not a slammed, Stanced, blown M5 On airbags, with a gazillion watt stereo.  

It also helps to make a roadtrip out of it, Like a vacation to pick up her car. She didn't even mind driving it 8hrs back. If it didn't work out it was still a fun trip.

Once she is invested in your hobby, she will be much more receptive to future purchases. As long as it's not just about your toys 

Not buying money pits that will depreciate like a rock helps too. I have less in 5 Bimmers then most people spend on the family minivan.

And most of all don't abandon her for your hobby.

End of seminar.

6 hours ago, REKIII said:

Hmmmm......your wife sounds like a fantasy.  My wife understands my hobby but has no interest and hell would have to freeze before a second BMW ever joined the fleet.  Oh well.

She's an angel for putting up with me for 29 years. But, she has told me if I buy one more it needs to have enough room for a cot and my stuff, 'cause I will be living in it.

And, she is right we are over capacity.  it's not the money or space, it's the time it takes to keep the fleet flying.

1 hour ago, damnboy037 said:

I could be wrong but I may have seen some with the s50b32 before they went with the s54. 

Nice fleet BTW

28 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

We never got any car with an s50b32.  Maybe a euro spec car.

The S50B32 cars were for the rest of the world. We got the S52US's.  When the E46 got the M3 (S54)in '01 the M-roady got the S54 (slightly detuned to 315HP).