WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Old/new guy with a BMW problem

RobZR

1 hour ago, RobZR said:

She's an angel for putting up with me for 29 years. But, she has told me if I buy one more it needs to have enough room for a cot and my stuff, 'cause I will be living in it.

And, she is right we are over capacity.  it's not the money or space, it's the time it takes to keep the fleet flying.

But still.  We have a 4 car attached garage and a 2400sqft outbuilding.  We own 3 cars TOTAL!!!  Seems very wrong.  I should be able to at least keep buying until I can't fit them all inside anymore.

Time is a luxery I don't have.....I 100% agree on that one. 

You could try the "Kindergarten argument"  "Honey, look Rob has 6 cars, a Bike and 2 boats, and they only have a 2 car garage!! why can't I !!!"

but your odds are 1000:1 on that one.

Sounds like you need friends that are willing to fill that empty space with quality Bavarian steel for you that you can store and properly exercise (start, warm-up, and take around the block) while on your premises.  Once she is accustomed to seeing the space filled with quality, she will be more receptive to filling it with your own replacements.  LOL.

12 minutes ago, Rowleym said:

haha best thing i've heard all day. But honestly, I won't have a problem. She knows I won't stop collecting cars haha. Ill just have to do a better job of hiding them in the future. 

That's the problem, you can't hide cars.

Me: Hey hon, I'm thinking about grabbing this $800 e30 I saw down the road

Wife: NO, WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER CAR AROUND HER THAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON

Result - No e30

ME:

Wife:

Result - $6K clutch hidden inside a car I already have.

Zero logic.

15 minutes ago, REKIII said:

Me: Hey hon, I bought this $800 e30 I saw down the road!

Wife: NO, WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER CAR AROUND HERE THAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON

Result - You're out in the doghouse....but so is your new e30 and you now have lots of time to work on it. 

Made a few adjustment, this approach is not necessarily recommended though

My wife also argues that we have no space because our 3 cars, boat, trailer and camper take up too much room.  My argument is that I still have a full acre to fill with cars in the yard not to mention the space I still have left in my drive way!  I'm conditioning her to not be surprise if/when I come home with another car.  Doesn't mean she won't be mad but she won't be surprised.  I'm trying to play the "but honey this will be a great project for Jameson and I."  Her rebuttal is usually, "He's only 1!".  Regardless, I feel like this approach is much more likely to work for me.

2 hours ago, KaiserRolls said:

It's nice having a significant other that understands and supports/joins in on the car addiction.

Thou it sounds like an ideal situation, having an independent opinion uncolored by our addiction can save you from impulsively buying that "once in a lifetime" polished turd that comes up for sale.

My wife has stepped in as the "voice of reason"  on a few "great deals". These didn't make sense after you stepped back and removed the rose colored glasses.

6 hours ago, REKIII said:

I showed up with the 1 BMW I have.....that didn't go over well, even though I told her I was looking at buying one, which she was OK with.  Oh well.

This is no longer about the car, more about the fact that you made a major purchase without her.  Might have something to do with your current situation.  You must to do 2 purchases from the florist, 1 purchase from the jewelers, and 5 items off the honey-do list for your penance.

11 minutes ago, RobZR said:

This is no longer about the car, more about the fact that you made a major purchase without her.  Might have something to do with your current situation.  You must to do 2 purchases from the florist, 1 purchase from the jewelers, and 5 items off the honey-do list for your penance.

I wish it was that easy.  This was back in 07.  Kudos to you and your fleet though.  Some nice rides......please continue to post pics and updates for those of us vicariously living through you.

On Z3's  front half of the chassis is E36 while rear is E30 derived. The diff rear mount starts to separate the floor from the "U" channel support.  this shows up as broken welds. Mine had 4 cracked welds visible from the top, but no separation yet. when I scraped off the seam sealer I found 4 more and about 1/8" of bend in the floor.. That's when I decided to fix-it before it gets worse. Once I cut the floor open I found the main "U" channel cracked about 60% through.  Stopped driving it just in time. They call it a "subframe reinforcement", but in reality it's a chassis rebuild / floor reinforcement.  I have the car all prepped for welding, just need the time to finish it.

Randy Forbes is a legend with this repair. and a few others.

http://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/