WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

Talk Trucks to Me

ClassE

Alright guys - I need some insight and experience into pick-up trucks.  I miss having my little VW Caddy pick-up truck for its utilitarian purposes (since I do a lot of house projects, hunting, etc...).  I'd really like to trade the E90 in or sell outright and get a small-ish pickup truck.  Something I can seat 4 in comfortably and get "ok" gas mileage.

Requirements:

-Quad Cab (I have 2 small kids - so need 4-doors to get them in/out easy).

-"Decent" gas mileage (50 mile total commute daily).

-Can't spend $40k..... So first bullet point about having kids.

I like the look of the new Colorado/Canyon, but can't justify $40k for a small pickup!  Toyota Tacoma would be really nice but same deal - they're not cheap even used.  Ideally I'd get a used 4-door Tacoma/Colorado for around the $20k mark? 

Anyone have personal experiences with some small trucks that could give some insight?  I'm looking more for other suggestions of makes/models to look at that I may be overlooking -  and most importantly: reliability.  I wanna know what troubles to expect from what brands/models.

GO!

Side Note: I'm not opposed to bigger trucks (F150, Ram, Etc...) - my concerns with them are cost and mileage.  If there's a "bigger truck" that fits the bill, by all means LMK.

Im also not brand loyal or too caught up on esthetics - I can make pretty much anything look good with some elbow grease.

Is the max $20k?

(If it is full size would be awesome)

4x4 necessary?

Mileage limits?

Towing anything with it?

FWIW my dad has owned almost every truck under the sun and currently has a new Colorado crew cab. It's awful. It's a v6 that has the most indecisive trans on the planet. (Dealer has been telling people to actually drive it in tow mode) it's absolutely gutless and might as well be an suv with an open rear end. He averaged about 21 from Nevada to Wisconsin.

Before that he had an fx2 f150 with the 3.5 Eco boost. The truck would tow whatever & was faster/more powerful than his previous v8 f150. That also averaged about 20/21 without a trailer when we drove from here to Nevada.

The mileage would drop exponentially if you got your foot into the twins though. But it was fun. The v8 f150 he had before that was a typical ford. He's had ridgelines/duramaxs/silverados/etc. I don't think he's had a favorite lol.

I had a 2wd Colorado for a while with a 4cyl. It was a turd.

You could most definitely find a double cab Tacoma with a v6/4x4 with 70k on it and stay under $20k. Or get a 2007-2009 Silverado with 60k on it for $16k. I'd imagine the yota would be worth more when you're ready to get rid of it. But also more for initial purchase. I'm sure the mileage sucks like every other truck too

I've been researching trucks for the past 6 months and initially was leaning towards picking up a new Tacoma quad cab. After all my research, I'm picking up a new F150 4x4 supercrew next month with the 2.7 EcoBoost (waiting until next month to make it a 2 year present at my current job).

Full size F150 quad cab, aluminum body panels, 2.7 ecoboost, lots of people getting real world 21-24 MPG highway. That's better or similar MPG to the smaller Tacoma, Canyon, and any other pick up truck for that matter. You can go to Kayser Ford here in Madison right now and pick up a brand new 2015 F150 for $32k with 0% financing. That's cheaper than any brand new Tacoma I've seen on lots here.

Plus, NO RUST. That alone makes it a very attractive option for me because I fully intend to keep this vehicle for the next decade.

Also, Ford is offering 72 month 0% financing right now.

^^ Agreed, lots of space under the hood and it can certainly move when you want it to. Coming from my old ass V8 Grand Cherokee it felt like it was a rocket ship lol

Lots of guys online are adding exhaust/tunes and approaching 400 hp with negligible losses to the MPG category.

I don't really have a "max" to spend - but would like to keep it around $20k just for monthly payments sake.

4x4 would be a plus for hunting - but not a "need".  No tow plans except the occasional small trailer or car dolly.  Could maybe see trailering the E30 if I ever wanted to go to a big show on the East coast or such.

1 hour ago, ClassE said:

I don't really have a "max" to spend - but would like to keep it around $20k just for monthly payments sake.

4x4 would be a plus for hunting - but not a "need".  No tow plans except the occasional small trailer or car dolly.  Could maybe see trailering the E30 if I ever wanted to go to a big show on the East coast or such.

If this is the case then why would you not get a wagon of sorts? I don't see any benefit losing fuel mileage and possibly comfort for daily driving if you don't plan to actually do truck stuff with a truck. 

My dad bought a 2004 f150 with the 5.4L brand new and traded it in last year with over 200k miles on it for a new f150 xlt 5.0L.  He averaged about 18 combined and never had any "major" mechanical issues.  All of the work done was all maintenance stuff but he is also very meticulous about maintaining his vehicles.  His was 4wd with the extended cab which gave you enough room in the back for an adult to sit but it wasn't very comfortable.  The quad cab is much nicer in that gen f150 and it's awesome in his current truck.

I'd stay away from the canyon/colorado's.  From what I've seen in the shop is they're a turd.  Part's are as expensive as the big trucks (god forbid you do the brakes on your own).  The 5 cyl had overheating issues while the 4 cyl can't get out of it's own way.  The extended cab is great for your lunch box and maybe a dog but I wouldn't put actual people back their regardless of their stature.

4 hours ago, Earl said:

Get a touring

/end thread/

seconded, by a guy who wants a truck, but can't stand how they drive like buses.

in one trip to the hardware store i can fit some 10' pvc sections, a few sheets of 4x8 ply on the roof, and a pile of 2x4x8s

add a 4x8 trailer and the possibilities are endless.

a truck it ain't, but a truck it is!

Dodge doesn't make trucks.  It's Ram now......lame.

I'm only owned 3 trucks 2 GM's one Ford.  Gas mileage was never a concern for me so I always had a big V-8 that would get 14MPG max.....My opinion really doesn't count.

As for you 'Wagons are life' guys, I agree to a certain extent....until you have to pick up a refrigerator or a swingset, or a load of gravel.  Wagons have limits and when doing truck stuff with them, you find those limits VERY quickly.