WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

E30 brake issue

P_Roloff

Question

Lately, I've been having an interesting problem with the e30. Once the brakes heat up, the left rear rotor/caliper makes an awful squealing noise, but only while off the brakes. Once you press the pedal, it goes away. I've tried anti squeal but it didn't change anything. Any ideas on what's wrong? I'm thinking it's probably a dragging caliper, but maybe someone on here has some insight. 

13 answers to this question

If you haven't done this already drive it around the neighborhood until it starts making the noise, jack up the rear of the car, put it on jack stands, remove the left wheel and with some work gloves on turn the rotor (or better yet have a friend turn the other rear wheel) to see if the caliper is sticking or the rotor is warped.

Are the pads new, what type are they, any uneven wear, etc.

You can also take a short low speed drive around the neighborhood, avoid using the brakes (sorry kids!) and use an IR thermometer to compare rotor temperatures to see the extent of the dragging

The remedy may end up being new caliper guide pins or just lubricating the ones that are in there