WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

540i Swapped Rat rod Build thread

ThatRatRodProject

Love the update and the plans you have!

Steel or alum for the suspension?

I see two points in your design that I would do differently with your suspension design but overall it looks good! Have you calculated Ackerman angle or modeled in the roll centers? Just curious. I know this isnt a racecar but im fascinated with your build

Love the update and the plans you have!

Steel or alum for the suspension?

I see two points in your design that I would do differently with your suspension design but overall it looks good! Have you calculated Ackerman angle or modeled in the roll centers? Just curious. I know this isnt a racecar but im fascinated with your build

The control arms will be tube steel.

I have accounted for some of the angles. I will be running a very stiff spring rate. With low travel. With taller profile tires. So the tires absorb most of the bumps.

This is the look I'm going for.

ee9d426fe77b6b264889e10294c6bd66.png

I will be setting this car up for auto cross.

• 1 month later...

Great progress and success today with my custom wiring box. I have an official standalone engine management system for my M60b40.

After reading a lot of wire diagrams and taking a step out of my comfort zone. it all worked out in the end. This is the first time I've done any really serious wiring on a car.

--Ill let the pictures do the talking

Before

8674510300d995c4361027a8446aabc0.jpga0fa43dfc84129cc22d7df55cc7bcc2a.jpgcce19b723cccc2b56905aa19b5585e49.jpg

After

9911e0693ce0150c15d46656e9bb3f55.jpgc315b8fd0406b786f763eb9a81db6eaa.jpgbc72aac7b686c6adf7ae172e8406031b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice work! Solidworks?

I have so many questions.(Sorry) Is there a reason you are going with a cantilever set up? How did you calculate the the pivot arm length? Are there any shear concerns with the shock mounted on the top of the tube like that without any linear support? You obviously peaked my interest. I like what I see and I am very glad this isn't a dead thread. 

very cool!

27 minutes ago, Jdesign said:

Is there a reason you are going with a cantilever set up?

seconded. it appears there is room for the coilover where you've placed that yellow connecting rod. are you using an undersized spring/shock and but increasing its effectiveness with the pivot arm?

what is the connecting rod coming forward from the pivot arm?

30 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Sway bar link maybe?

Looks great! I'm glad this project is still happening

Yes Sway Bar Link Set up will be coming off the cantilever toward the front of the frame. 

Linked Will Be the Sway Bar I'm Using. Haven't Modeled It in yet. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rhc-19-0001

1 hour ago, straight6pwr said:

very cool!

seconded. it appears there is room for the coilover where you've placed that yellow connecting rod. are you using an undersized spring/shock and but increasing its effectiveness with the pivot arm?

what is the connecting rod coming forward from the pivot arm?

There is a couple reasons why i have the coil-over mounted horizontally .

1. Keep it Clear of road Hazards like Dirt, rocks, Ect. 

2. I am using a under rated spring. So with the Cantilever allows me to achieve my desired spring rate with some sacrifice of overall suspension Travel.  Because i honestly don't know what the project will weigh in at.  I may have to re-fabricate the Cantilever Section. But This may be to stiff. 

Yeah this project was always intriguing, but has certainly caught more of my interest seeing things being modeled!

The shear area on that upper shock mount seems reasonable if you've got good penetration welds on both plates. 

I think I saw the knuckles in a picture on a previous page, but are those a standard purchased component?

I've always thought it would be cool to do a ground up build like this, so I really look forward to the continuation of this!

3 hours ago, Jdesign said:

Nice work! Solidworks?

I have so many questions.(Sorry) Is there a reason you are going with a cantilever set up? How did you calculate the the pivot arm length? Are there any shear concerns with the shock mounted on the top of the tube like that without any linear support? You obviously peaked my interest. I like what I see and I am very glad this isn't a dead thread. 

Yes the Cad software i use is Solid-works. 

There is a couple reasons why I'm using a cantilever.

1. I have the coil-over mounted horizontally To Keep it Clear of road Hazards like Dirt, rocks, Ect. 

2. I am using a under rated spring. So with the Cantilever allows me to achieve my desired spring rate with some sacrifice of overall suspension Travel.  Because i honestly don't know what the project will weigh in at.  I may have to re-fabricate the Cantilever Section. But This may be to stiff. 

Attached is a image of a section View of the Cantilever. 

The stack up is From the top Down. 

Stripper Bolt (Shear Strength of  82,000 Psi (Roughly 28,000 Pounds or shear force))

Harden Washer 

Thrust Bearing 

Harden Washer 

Normal Ball Bearing 

Mounting piece (Gets Welded into the Cantilever) 

Normal Ball Bearing 

Harden Washer 

Thrust Bearing 

Harden Washer 

Mounting Blacking (will get mounted to the end of the tubing, (Tubing will likely be gusseted in the future)

Section View.PNG

42 minutes ago, GunMetalGrey said:

Yeah this project was always intriguing, but has certainly caught more of my interest seeing things being modeled!

The shear area on that upper shock mount seems reasonable if you've got good penetration welds on both plates. 

I think I saw the knuckles in a picture on a previous page, but are those a standard purchased component?

I've always thought it would be cool to do a ground up build like this, so I really look forward to the continuation of this!

The Knuckle is a ford Pinto Spindle. Primarily Used in circle track applications.

Quick update. with some actual fab work being done.

The past couple weeks I have been putting in some hours gettin some of the front frame done. I’m gonna attach some photos if you have any questions let me know. I’ll try to explain. 

737753F7-BBB9-43AE-B2CD-938D2B18E3CD.jpeg

5992FF0F-4D43-4FEB-AFB1-0AA1EDFC0AE4.jpeg

D6AC2C8F-0412-49C1-B7CD-F97B7F8B91EB.jpeg

544B9D02-5261-4569-BE61-67BF5054A9BC.jpeg

982107D5-5A86-4410-A3D0-1E57EAA905F1.jpeg

4 hours ago, ThatRatRodProject said:

Section View.PNG

I would not recommend using a stripper bolt in this manner. They are not intended to handle lateral forces and have a inherent stress riser at the base of the thread that is prone to failure.

Ideally you would support both sides of the pivot point from the subframe.  if you must support it from one side a spool and bolt design will bend before failure, since it keeps the bolt in tension.

spool-n-washer.jpg