WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

ILC's 1991 318 S50 track rat

i_love_cars

1 hour ago, i_love_cars said:

Yesterday I ordered a CCA grill badge because I think E30s should just have those. I also ordered a set of hyper silver Apex ARC-8 wheels and new Direzza tires. The car won't make a full locking turn right now and rubs badly because the prior owner mistakenly bought 235/45 tires instead of 235/40, so they are wayyyy too tall. Plus I don't really like the E36 rims that are on the car. Good news is that I have brand new Rival tires from the Miata that I never installed, so Big Bear is letting me return those for a full credit towards the Direzzas, which makes the tires basically a wash. Big Bear also has a buyer for my E36 wheels, and after selling the Avanti wheels I had for the Miata, everything is basically a wash. 

I'm hoping everything fits, but still not sure. The E36 wheels are 7.5" with 41 offset and 12mm spacers around, and I have about 1" clearance between the strut and the top of the wheel when it is cambered in on the ground. I had to pick up 17x8.5 et40 from Apex, so I'm hoping they will still fit, but I ordered a set of 15mm spacers just in case. Still may be a little close but keeping my fingers crossed. Everything is getting fitted next week on Thursday.

Nice. Check out www.willtheyfit.com for tire fitment needs.

I did a new vs. old for you. First one is without spacers on the new wheels, second one is with the 15mm spacers.

withoutspacer.PNG

--------------

withspacer.PNG

yup, did some math and took some measurements - looks like the rears will clear with no spacer at all as I have like 1.5" between the strut and the wheel, and it only adds 1.7mm of poke. 

The fronts will still require a spacer because the strut is closer to the wheel. It's got probably 3/4" or a bit more, so likely re-use the existing 12mm which would give about .46" closer to the strut and about .5" more poke which should work out given the tire will stretch a bit and be lower profile. 

6 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

RED ROKT would be alright. Double standard with south park and also the fact that it's a pretty fast street car that's red. 

Sidebar: 135 will be on the dyno next week on Wednesday morning

Am I the only one thinking of the gross type of red rocket? You know, that thing that happens when a male dog gets excited?

Which dyno are you getting on? I'm excited to see the numbers.

yea that's why i said "it's a double standard with South Park" because they did an episode on that one time, LOL. 

I'm not actually getting that plate. I may not get any vanity plate if i can't think of something i really like. 

I'll be up on LMT's dyno :D  Should be a good day. immediately following that I'll be getting the new tires mounted on the Apex wheels for the E30, so i can go home and put htem on. 

11 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

yea that's why i said "it's a double standard with South Park" because they did an episode on that one time, LOL. 

I'm not actually getting that plate. I may not get any vanity plate if i can't think of something i really like. 

I'll be up on LMT's dyno :D  Should be a good day. immediately following that I'll be getting the new tires mounted on the Apex wheels for the E30, so i can go home and put htem on. 

Ahh... I don't watch South Park. Glad we're all on the same page though :lol:

If you put down monstrous numbers, I might have to pay them a visit for my car. Any guesses?

Hard to say for sure. The car isn't fully tuned yet but it is running smoothly enough that I think it's worth getting an initial dyno pull. 

From all the dyno results I have seen on N55 pure stg2, targeting 21 psi on E50 has resulted in anywhere from 480-500. People running meth put down slightly better numbers ~530. 

I would be happy to see 475 because that would show a gain of over 100 whp going from stock turbo to Pure. I'm more concerned with the gain than the raw number. Helps me validate the money I spent :D

3 hours ago, suspenceful said:

Am I the only one thinking of the gross type of red rocket? You know, that thing that happens when a male dog gets excited?

Which dyno are you getting on? I'm excited to see the numbers.

Double entendre, dual meaning.  Most definitely meant it as a dog boner and the fact that his car is red.  I went for the triple entendre with ROT RCKT since ROT is German for red, dog boners and he has a red car.  It was meant as more of a joke.

5 hours ago, suspenceful said:

Ahh... I don't watch South Park. Glad we're all on the same page though :lol:

If you put down monstrous numbers, I might have to pay them a visit for my car. Any guesses?

I know LMT is certainly not a heartbreaker. A FBO (no inlets) N54 335i on a E60 Wedge tune (~21psi peak) put down 450whp in 3rd gear, should be around 460whp in 4th gear (dyno operator couldn't figure out the kickdown I guess, idk haven't tried a 6AT e90). Meanwhile I put down 391awhp with minimal mods, stock dp's, stock fmic on 18psi with a few gallons e85 to prevent timing correction from high iat.

Anyways, I vote for SHTFCK

New wheels are on. I could not possibly be any happier with how they look. Fitment is really good with 12mm spacers all around. I think I am going to drop to a 10mm just for peace of mind but right now I can get a full lock on the wheel again with no rub and driving over normal bumps so far is no problem. 

IMG_0134_zpsib4bhjqq.jpg

IMG_0137_zpsv3vh3cfj.jpg

IMG_0133_zpspagsdpog.jpg

IMG_0135_zpse3nbcktb.jpg

IMG_0138_zpscazinh3v.jpg