WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMW discontinues S engine desigation

patsbimmer1

All signs point towards BMW discontinuing the use of the S designation for M engines (http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?7077-BMW-to-no-longer-use-S-designations-to-denote-M-engines-meaning-BMW-motors-will-all-blend-together).  The question I have is, does anyone care?  Plenty of other manufacturers use already existing engines in their Sport models.  Audi has been doing this forever, GM has been using the LS/LT/LQ engines for decades in just about everything it'll fit in and Ford has used their V8's in everything from Mustangs to Crown Vic's and Trucks.

The high performance versions are worked over versions of standard models.  It's a great cost savings for the company and from a consumers standpoint we usually have parts more readily available and at a lower cost.  Does anyone care that M cars won't have a "bespoke" engine?

Honestly, I like the fact that my M3 has a worked over M52. Yeah, its not nearly as good as a bespoke M engine like s50b32 or the s54, but sharing parts with non-m cars makes it a much more viable daily driver because replacement parts are comparatively inexpensive and readily available. BUT, if I had the big bucks and I wanted to buy a modern M car, I would prefer that it had something a bit more special than a few factory bolt-ons. 

I dont care because BMW doesnt create a product that stands out as dominantly as it had in the past. BMW isnt getting worse, the competition is just getting a lot better.

Very few people will see the value and reasoning behind buying an M3/M4 over a 335i/340i with bolt-ons. The "lesser" N5X is just THAT GOOD to where im not craving the top of the line engine offering.

"But the M cars are better on track"

Im sure they are, but until I have an insane amount of money, I have to stay with options that are cheap, simple, and easy to repair.

To me, the M brand is still aspirational.  If I had the money to choose between my current car and an equal year/mileage M3 I would choose the M3 all day long and it's got nothing to do with the engine designation starting with an S.  I don't think this "waters down" the M brand any further, nobody would accuse an R8 of being watered down even though the 4.2 is based on the A8 engine.

BMW can go ahead and base their motorsport engines on their more peasant cars.  I think it's great that they can take an N55 and do some magic then we have the new M2 engine!  The guys that are complaining that their $70k+ M car doesn't have a bespoke engine is the same bag of dicks that only own it as a status symbol anyways.

i haven't bothered to look, but I'm sure there are a ton of shitfucks crying on BMW forums everywhere about this change. This is expected behavior from people who do not understand that they don't have any actual problems in their lives. It's like all the people who were protesting/up in arms against the legalization of gay marriage - the world has REAL problems to deal with like bombs going off on buses, starvation, shortages of drinking water, and general scarcity......and yet you're spending effort to protest gay marriage. 

This is like that only it's a bunch of affluent shitfucks who are elitist pricks that give the rest of us BMW drivers a bad reputation. 

I will drive any BMW that gives me an engaging driving experience the way I expect it to produce for me. 

Theres that word again, shitfucks.  Gets me every time.

14 minutes ago, i_love_cars said:

i haven't bothered to look, but I'm sure there are a ton of shitfucks crying on BMW forums everywhere about this change. This is expected behavior from people who do not understand that they don't have any actual problems in their lives. It's like all the people who were protesting/up in arms against the legalization of gay marriage - the world has REAL problems to deal with like bombs going off on buses, starvation, shortages of drinking water, and general scarcity......and yet you're spending effort to protest gay marriage. 

This is like that only it's a bunch of affluent shitfucks who are elitist pricks that give the rest of us BMW drivers a bad reputation. 

I will drive any BMW that gives me an engaging driving experience the way I expect it to produce for me

10 hours ago, patsbimmer1 said:

To me, the M brand is still aspirational.  If I had the money to choose between my current car and an equal year/mileage M3 I would choose the M3 all day long and it's got nothing to do with the engine designation starting with an S.  I don't think this "waters down" the M brand any further, nobody would accuse an R8 of being watered down even though the 4.2 is based on the A8 engine.

BMW can go ahead and base their motorsport engines on their more peasant cars.  I think it's great that they can take an N55 and do some magic then we have the new M2 engine!  The guys that are complaining that their $70k+ M car doesn't have a bespoke engine is the same bag of dicks that only own it as a status symbol anyways.

Not really.  M is now just a glorified trim package.  If BMW made a minivan, there would be an M version.  People only want the badge.  Granted, the widebody packages and what not look cool, so, like you, I would also like an M version.  But I'm not buying it because of the engine, just looks and the badge.

And the R8 IS watered down if it has the 4.2 in it .  They only build that car so they can sell it cheaper than the 5.2, again to people who just want the status symbol.

You could say that the lower level cars have gotten that much better, but that again means BMW has not been doing there job, the M cars should stay 'that' much better as well.  Instead they are gigantic boat anchors that have huge horsepower numbers and more electronic nannies than a prison ankle bracelet.

• 9 months later...

BMW has already assured the world that there will be an electric M car (http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/01/11/bmw-m-boss-says-electric-m-cars-inevitable/) but BMW has done a bit of their own R&D with electric motors and mass produced carbon fiber so I don't know how much they can gain from Mclaren.  If anything I could see Mclaren gathering information from BMW regarding manufacturing processes.  Who knows if Mclaren plans to remain a boutique manufacturer or enter the realms of mass produced luxury sports cars.  I think a hybrid M is the next step for BMW which makes sense with this partnership but I can't say i'd be surprised if they went straight to electric.