WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My life in the slow lane: Turning a z71 4x4 335I into something respectable.

Chris Welter

My 335Xi is no longer a 335Xi. It's a LS swapped e92 with a 4L80E transmission and is rwd ONLY. I decided on motor plates and pulled all the stops on going fast. The engine is a 5.3 iron block that is my "test" engine, you know one I won't feel bad about flogging until it blows. The new engine that will replace it will be a 427 cubic inch dart LS next block with two big snails hanging off of it. Also for interested parties, swapping out to kirkey racing seats and removing all other seats/ deadener in this car will save you in the neighborhood of 400lbs (my current configuration)..yes I actually weighed it all. New engine sits 7" further back in he chassis and driveline sits 2" lower. And I have the interior electronics working without canbus issues.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

d2d958ca6dc9067ae36d9ebfc507f6b6.jpg

67f65501cabe04f3a15c25885acaa93b.jpg

A little back to back comparison from a friend's top mount N54 and my LS swapped car. Note the LS is running a truck water pump so the car version is a good amount shorter.. either way if you use the front of the strut tower in comparison to where it sits on the motors you get a good idea..

34 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Chris is crazy...  We worked together in Dubuque and he knew I was into BMWs so he calls me after seeing this car at the local Toyota dealer and said something like "it looks cool are they pretty good cars?"  I said yea they are nice and decently reliable.  Now here we are...

HAHAHA awesome. 

52 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

This should make 4 figure power if i'm figuring that correctly, right?

" The new engine that will replace it will be a 427 cubic inch dart LS next block with two big snails hanging off of it "

I would imagine that it will be well into four figures by the sounds of it! 

Chris what do you think the timeline for everything is? Will this be ready for us to see next season?? I know you're using the iron block for testing purposes but are you just going to basically use it to get all the ECU controls and creature comforts sorted, and then blow it up so you can quickly move on to the new motor? 

I am really hoping to make a couple passes on the 4L80e and the stock N/A 5.3 in the spring to set a baseline against my stock N54 timeslips. The turbo setup will come later as I have to select the turbos so I only buy one set and be done with it. The general idea right now for the engine is run the 5.3 and get some base times and tunes down so if I blow it up I'm out $500 instead of the new motor (which I'm having tuned). The other thing is the new motor will be $$$$ so it will buy me some fun drive time until I get the funds together to buy it. The initial power goal (hence bigger cube motor) is 1200 whp but we'll see how everything pans out as I don't plan on spinning it past 6500. Gotta make it worth the swap as the N54 is a powerful motor to replace 😜. Transmission will have a HD2 shift kit in it soon and will be upgraded to a Jake's performance level 5 when the new motor is ready. As for rear end, I already plan on shredding it so I've ran up some plans to beef up my subframe and control arms and also install a 9" ford DSS IRS conversion kit. Again reasoning is I want to maintain BMW designed suspension just stronger.

• 6 months later...

So yet another update. I got the motor to fit into the car and the second set of headers are installed (first set were too long). Motor is in with a motor plate and I spent a good amount of time freshening up gaskets and cleaning the test engine. I have learned you really have to wanna go fast to attempt to do this kind of swap. Engine is almost in completely and wiring will be fairly quick thanks to my Dominator harnesses and a spreadsheet I made of all the wires I need to modify for the oem harness. Going to make the tach and oem gauges work for the most part until I'm ready to drop the 7" Holley display in. Now some update pix.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Overall progress of fitting motor and getting correct fitting headers. Motor cleaned in the pics and reassembled with new gaskets ect. Powder coated valve covers for a hint of color and a ls1 water pump. Now to just get it final mounted on the motor plates with the c5 corvette racing alternator and we are in business. e765b360dad257827ebc6d15aff8d367.jpg49d1e65d53639b88dc537e001c819cd6.jpgd5e12afdae0e29767a8955c9a8bc05cc.jpg44944a8cd159828ad328473b6d94bf2a.jpgb361c7f164b0bb2511a7693ca5b56a6d.jpg7f985d1f83c907b6bfd9420584a22779.jpgef70078c2ceaba57a31cf07cdf3f0576.jpge18d9ce6de607577f11320c61e440768.jpgd4e4745d9c41b893b9b4c699c732f684.jpg504fd17ca610e30ef49f931376473272.jpg

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...