WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

My life in the slow lane: Turning a z71 4x4 335I into something respectable.

Chris Welter

• 1 month later...

Thought of post an update for a few new items and plans. Car is still apart inside garage. I got all my new injectors about a month or so ago, just waiting on good weather to install them. I also got my hands on something I HIGHLY recommend all N54 owners get. I got my RB external PCV kit in the mail last week. I ordered the full kit with head plugs and all. This kit runs dual catch cans (50 micron mishimoto compact at idle and no boost, then transfers over to my BMS can once boost is built. This eliminates any gunk on the valves. Also the head ports are plugged in the process so the factory pcv valves in the head are bypassed and blocked off. This is to keep the valve cover and crankcase under vacuum. I have a friend who lost his engine because one failed and starved the engine of oil, so of rather not take that chance. Ordered the evolution of speed intake with port injection bits so waiting for that to arrive. Also in transmission land, the 4L80E is pushed back to next spring now. Not overly happy about hearing this so I talked to a few people and will most likely go 6MT RWD. Something about less controllers and a proven transmission is a nice thing. I don't drag my car a lot so for roll racing I feel this the better choice. I don't know of anyone here also knows of syvecs? They are releasing a ECU this year for the N54 that is plug and play. Working on getting my hands on one thru group buy. No more piggybacks and tunes fighting the ECU, and more rpms and total control :) Gotta be prepared...lol.. planning out 6MT this summer and syvecs next spring. Heck if I can put enough aside I'll even debate getting an ABR punisher to drop in next year :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Tossing in a update.. was able to pull a 1.6X 60 foot on the car at the track. Installed the EOS intake and new JB4 port injection controller module as well. This setup reliably got me up to 28 psi (did this once as I was scared, and dailies @25 psi on e85 no issues). This new jb4 controller is truly remarkable. However the car is getting parted out now and everything is for sale. Check the classifieds for sale posting.

The plan is to show the world that I am crazy...lol  My end goal is 4 digits at the rear wheels, 1200 long term.  The proposed powerplant is a Iron block 6.0L LS stroker motor with big ole turbo on it...lol.. Of course some internal work will be done but that is in the details ;)  Ive figured out how to make the car play nicely (keeping factory locks and HVAC and radio and power options)  and am working out fueling and getting the rest of the gauges to work, shouldn't be too hard.  Heck I was even debating trying to put together a kit for those out there who feel like they wanna get a little bit bonkers with their rides.  This being said, I just posted a bunch of my parts up for sale, so if you are N54 powered and you are looking for a serious kick in the pants that wont kill your wallet, check it out and please tell the other guys!  The sale of my parts starts the funding for the new engine.  If you see anything you want message me, and for my local WI bimmers guys we can maybe work out not having to ship things which saves everyone more $$!  Price for the kit without shipping is $3800 which makes me want to cry considering what I paid for it last year.  A couple people have already approached me asking why.. My answers, first was why not, and second is for the power goal I am looking for at this point it is more cost effective this way.  I am not saying the N54 is not capable of it, as I truly believe it is, just more frustrated at high end tuning options from the ECU side of things.  Its really hard to justify a $5300 computer to hopefully break 1000whp when the LS platform has more proven controllers to do just that for $1200.. With all that being said, i am not going to even attempt to ruin the handling of the car, its the one thing I greatly love and the reason I will swap before switching cars.

But one thing is for sure,

This car has definitely done one thing for me, make me addicted to power!
P.S. John, its still not fast ;)

46 minutes ago, patsbimmer1 said:

I took down a 450whp 06 Mustang GT from a 60 roll not too long ago.  My n54 just pulls really strong, I don't know if I have a freak one or what but it's something else!

I'd love to line up. I have no problem taking down 500-600whp cars. I've never lost to another N54 and I've raced a handful. Not doubting yours, but I'd love to find out!

I guess this means patsbimmer has the fastest n54 in the state now

It's gotta be up there.  I've taken down some serious players.

I'm not doubting quickness but turbocripple has a wicked 135i. Twin turbo auto that ran 10.8 in the quarter. A lot of bigger power cars showing up recently, ironically a lot of blown motor too. Some guys even 2! Of course I think some of it has to do with new tuners to the platform and people really pushing things. Some of it is junkyard 30K $600 engines that pop because they've been sitting since 2008 without running then people drop them in a car and expect 600rwhp. A lot of companies are coming out of the woodwork for N54 so building the motor is looking much cheaper. Heck I even saw 30% bench flow improvements with a ported head someone was doing (pretty much a m54 head flow now [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] ).

I took down a 450whp 06 Mustang GT from a 60 roll not too long ago.  My n54 just pulls really strong, I don't know if I have a freak one or what but it's something else!

I'd love to line up. I have no problem taking down 500-600whp cars. I've never lost to another N54 and I've raced a handful. Not doubting yours, but I'd love to find out!

I'm wondering why you were running e50 on a e85 tune, has me a bit confused as your effective octane is low (below 60% e). Either way it shows the weight difference of the 2 cars. In my mind the hexon turbo car should have won but I have no idea what fueling his map was set up from. Timing adds power, but too low octane and high timing means you'll meet a rod on the ground soon.

The difference in weight between the e90 and a 135i is only about 200lbs~ give or take.  Not that much to make a substantial difference in performance.  If my memory serves me right the train of thought was usually .1 sec for every 100lbs in a 1/4 mile.  Not nearly enough to explain how a claimed 600whp car lost to a 450whp~ car.

Not that Jake's car isn't fast but something is fishy with that e90.

Hexon 335i finally turned the boost up to 25psi recently. Beats me by a car or two now.

The white twin-turbo G8 that I've ran a lot in the past also turned up the boost from 7psi to 12psi and puts a few cars on me.

I met up with a stock looking MK4 Jetta this past weekend. Built motor and trans, Precision 6266 running 36psi, 93 octane + meth. Dyno shows 560whp and the interior is gutted. From a 60 roll it was neck to neck until I started to edge him out at about 120mph. I had a passenger, he didn't. He said he is also going to the 1/2 mile event this September so it should be a blast getting a few rematches in.

/ricerreply