WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

BMW v8 engine coffee table project

straight6pwr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
part do you think piano black would be good for?

The header plates. It wasn't clear when I first posted, I thought you were simply going to cover the exhaust ports with the flat piece of wood. What you did was perfect really.

I'd have used some "low quality latex caulk" for the welds because after a few test beads you should be able to simulate welding bead. Your solution is probably better long term as it will be harder and less likely to flake.

The circ. saw blades have come a long way. I have a "bad blade" designed to cut anything so I don't have to switch blades to cut a metal bar or a framing board. I do have specific blades that go much faster through metal or wood though.

Showed my wife the latest pic of your project and her reply "I want one of those in my living room". Guess that is some good feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that makes sense! black was definitely the fall back color if the chrome turned out crappy.

i tried the latex caulk, too, just as you describe,  but the beads were very round (not flat like stacked coins). then i tried to flatten the beads, but the latex just smears when you touch it, even with water or oil as a barrier.

your wife WANTS an engine table? you, sir, are winning.