WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1999 M3 daily driver running log

m42b32

Ready for summer! Slapped on the roof rack and a square set of 17x8.5 contours with 245/40/17 Falken Fk510's. Loving the wider rubber already, it looks a lot meaner! Not usually a black wheel fan, but on the white/modena it really makes the interior pop!

40740339125_b22f3dfda0_b.jpg

I also discovered I don't have any roundel center caps for my wheels, so if anyone has a set in decent shape (68mm, 36136783536) let me know!

Ready for summer! Slapped on the roof rack and a square set of 17x8.5 contours with 245/40/17 Falken Fk510's. Loving the wider rubber already, it looks a lot meaner! Not usually a black wheel fan, but on the white/modena it really makes the interior pop!
40740339125_b22f3dfda0_b.jpg

I also discovered I don't have any roundel center caps for my wheels, so if anyone has a set in decent shape (68mm, 36136783536) let me know!
Curious how the roof rack is mounted.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Rekpoint said:

Curious how the roof rack is mounted.

Its Thule Traverse 480 feet, with the fit kit 1015 (fits the feet to an e36 coupe), and I can't remember the width of the bars but I had them on my e30. Looks like they don't make that specific fit kit anymore but some retailers still have it in stock. It's basically rubber pads that are shaped to the roof profile, and then clamps that come down and grab onto the crack just above the window trim. It basically squeezes itself to the shape of the roof, but its on there really well! 

• 3 weeks later...

The keyless entry has developed a mind of it's own and immediately re-locks the doors after hitting the unlock button. I suspect the trunk lock/actuator is messing with things as it has been very sticky and tough to operate lately. Anyone have behavior like this before? Other things to look for? 

Edit: English is hard, fixed... 

9 hours ago, m42b32 said:

The keyless entry has developed a mind of it's own and immediately locks the doors after hitting the lock button. I suspect the trunk lock/actuator is messing with things as it has been very sticky and tough to operate lately. Anyone have behavior like this before? Other things to look for? 

Seems good to me!  I assume you mean the doors lock and then unlock right away?  My coupe does this as well.  I don't have a key fob, it does the lock and immediately unlock if I push the rod down.  If I push it down a second time they all stay down.  I just don't lock it, I think it has something to do with the limit switches for the door being closed.  Do your windows drop when you open the door?  Mine do not.

49 minutes ago, jc43089 said:

Seems good to me!  I assume you mean the doors lock and then unlock right away?  My coupe does this as well.  I don't have a key fob, it does the lock and immediately unlock if I push the rod down.  If I push it down a second time they all stay down.  I just don't lock it, I think it has something to do with the limit switches for the door being closed.  Do your windows drop when you open the door?  Mine do not.

Whoops haha, fixed that! It's actually the opposite: If the car is unlocked and I lock it, it all works fine. If the car is locked, and I hit the button to unlock it, the car re-locks itself immediately. This only happens when I use the keyless remote (earlier 3-button system if that matters). The window drop works on both doors. Good call on the limit switches, I have the hood switch connected to the alarm so that or the trunk could possibly be causing a problem. 

52 minutes ago, snap said:

Is it by chance an air actuated system like Audi/VW uses? im guessing not but the only time I had issues like that was on a pneumatic system

It's an electric system with actuators on both doors and the trunk, and limit switches on each of those as well as the hood. 

on e30s,  problems with the central locking 'disagreeing' with locking is caused by actuators that have gone bad, or door lock/latch mechanisms which are a little sticky and make the sensors in the actuators misread due to the extra resistance. i'd try lubing all the mechanisms first and see if you see an improvement.

not sure if this applies to e36s.

Oil changed with Mobil1 5w50 

Haven't gotten a chance to look into the lock situation, might get to it this weekend. I did, however, finally get into cleaning the interior before the picnic last weekend. I had time to get into everything but the leather on the front seats. It had gotten pretty dirty, but it's looking awesome now. I'm planning to finish up the front seats this weekend and will finally get some pics of the interior in this thread. 

With the super hot weather coming up this weekend I reinstalled the AC belt and tensioner. I had taken it off when I was investigating weird noises maybe two years ago and never got around to reinstalling it. The AC worked well when I bought the car, but unfortunately it doesn't do much anymore. RIP. 

I also added another rack to the roof rack so I can carry my mountain bike (it didn't fit the existing racks). Looks good up there

27480122647_616b468afb_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

After picking up the wagon I now have too many cars, so over the weekend I did a bunch of things I've been meaning to do to start prepping this car for sale :(... all that's left is to give it a good detail and remove a few parts I want to transfer to the wagon or sell separately. 

As a last hurrah before it gets listed, I took it to the FVSCC autocross at the newly repaved Road America motorplex and had a blast! The car didn't miss a beat and handled fantastically despite the higher treadwear tires and meh brake pads. I didn't have any of the common lifter tick issues either as I ran it a half-quart over full and let the revs sit at 3500 for the 2-3 minute drive back to grid after each run. The new motorplex surface is really smooth but it is also super slippery, lots of counter steering was needed! There were a lot of people doing a bit of landscaping in the earlier runs. I competed in STR and took a respectable 10th place... out of 10 haha, turns out that class is super competitive and had 4 of the top 20 overall times. I ended up in 91st out of 159 for raw times so I'm more than happy with that! 

30134469148_873917345d_b.jpg

1 hour ago, SteelBlue said:

I really want to get out to one of the auto x events at this track next year, I think E30 should be pretty well suited for it. I believe @MPW3RLee was there as well.

I had my e30 there last year and it was a riot, to be fair its a blast in just about any car, adding elevation to an auto-x (like at RA and USAIR) is so much fun!

9 hours ago, SteelBlue said:

I really want to get out to one of the auto x events at this track next year, I think E30 should be pretty well suited for it. I believe @MPW3RLee was there as well.

I was there, and I did see the E36 out there, looked good! @SteelBlue yes you should make an event, the E30 would do great out there, I used to track/autoX my E30 and it handled like a dream! (Although I did upgraded suspension, Bilstein shocks, Eibach lowering springs, and ST sway bars) My E90 is cool and all but the E30 was so much more predictable and controllable.

Pics from the weekend! (Photo credit: Austin Boynton)

42211415330_fc4513e560_b.jpg

43973126672_56368fb7f5_b.jpg

29084345817_4e975072eb_b.jpg

14 hours ago, ChrisO said:

Same, it would be cool to know people there already when it is my first time!

There seems to almost always be a few of us at every event, I'd love to see more people get into it, you won't regret it! 

13 hours ago, MPW3RLee said:

I was there, and I did see the E36 out there, looked good! @SteelBlue yes you should make an event, the E30 would do great out there, I used to track/autoX my E30 and it handled like a dream! (Although I did upgraded suspension, Bilstein shocks, Eibach lowering springs, and ST sway bars) My E90 is cool and all but the E30 was so much more predictable and controllable.

Thanks! I wish I would've known that was you, I would've stopped by to say hello! I was working turn 1 for your heats, fun to watch, congrats on the class win!

23 minutes ago, Bassboy3313 said:

You should definitely do that color interior for the wagon too! 

Man, that would be awesome... They actually did a similar color called saddle brown that looks really nice, though it looks slightly lighter and less orange than Modena in some lights, haven't seen it in person to compare though. I'm loving the black for a daily driver, so easy to keep clean haha

attachment.php?attachmentid=80110&stc=1&

• 4 weeks later...

Been doing more work on this to prep it for sale. Gave it a good clean on the exterior last night, just need to clean up the interior a bit, swap the stud conversion over to the wagon, and take some pictures for the ad. Hoping to have it posted by the end of the week, if anyone is interested feel free to send me a PM!