WI BIMMERS - Wisconsin's BMW Community

1999 M3 daily driver running log

m42b32

25 minutes ago, m42b32 said:

Its probably my fault we get snow in late March every year haha. Last year I had them on by the second week of March...and then it snowed. This year I waited a little longer and the forecast looked like we were in the clear so I figured why not.

Then this morning I checked the weather...

ce88c779cb43950a0cac118774be13cf.jpg

Lol.

DROP THE BAN HAMMER!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did a few cosmetic changes over the weekend while the weather was so nice. 

Added an e46 m3 trunk lip:

33915266036_840cc46634_b.jpg

I removed the front bumper and re-located the alarm siren to behind the bumper support. It was previously in the engine bay pointed upwards towards the hood insulation (didn't fit in the normal spot because of the ZKW's) and it was extremely muffled. Now it is much more audible so the alarm might actually deter some criminal 

33915272626_9b83560b70_b.jpg

I added some lightly smoked depo corner lights to finish off the clear indicator look. I like the clear tails and side markers, but on a white car, clear indicators just get lost and don't look right so these are a nice compromise. I decided to give french fog lights a try since I cracked one of my cheapo fogs. I used some krylon stained glass yellow that I had laying around from my old e36. I sprayed them in the dim garage and didn't realize till I brought them out in the sun that I did one too many coats and they got waaay too dark. I'll have to strip them and re-do it soon. My bumper has also been crooked since I bought the car, so it was nice to finally get it mounted up straight too. 

33798519302_fbd0044500_b.jpg

I had seen a few pictures of some e36's with sink drains similar to e39 M5's and kinda liked the look. I had an extra m3 mesh grill laying around so I got a pair of drains, chopped off the bottoms, and fit them into the grille. They make the front of the car look too busy when they are left silver, so I threw on a coat of black plasti-dip as it should hold up to rock chips better than spray paint. I was thinking of working out some ducting to the intake or something just for fun, but that'll be a project for a different day. 

33798521522_7faf208ca0_b.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
135.3k:
Changed the oil. Finally working on getting a new windshield. I've decided to go back to 17's for next summer, so a few months ago I picked up a set of 8.5" contours and 245's for all four corners. I'm looking forward to the meatier setup!
Still waiting for my sexy ass interior pics!! [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

136k:

Picked up some engine bay candy from AJK430 (and a few other pieces for some future projects), slapped it on the other day. I didn't clean it, or my engine bay. Didn't notice any handling difference, but I'm on squishy snow tires so I haven't really done any driving where it would make a difference. 

25042590007_703e8f5d27_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

136.8k:

Air filter was way overdue so I replaced that and cleaned the MAF. It runs noticeably smoother and I seem to have gained 1-2mpg. More importantly, I finally got this out for some ///Motorsport...

40183229002_1de2e7240f_b.jpg

Spent my Sunday at the FVSCC ice rally-x on Lake Poygan. It was an absolute riot and I highly recommend it, I'm definitely going to try and make it to at least one more this winter. The conditions were fantastic and I really started to get the hang of it by the end of the day. Between practice, the timed runs, and a re-run, I got to run the course nearly 20 times! And considering I only found the wrong side of a snowbank twice and my car ended the day in the same condition as it started, I'd call it a pretty successful day. 

37 minutes ago, straight6pwr said:

car looks awesome on the ice. i'm glad you made it out there! i was drinking and spearing fish probably about a mile away from you guys. it was slightly heartbreaking

Not a bad alternative, the weather was great for just about anything out on the lake!